PDA

View Full Version : Mcnaughton Coring

kevin nee
03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Hello, I have purchased the McNaughton Coring System to match my Powermatic 3520B lathe, I have watched Mike Mahoneys Vidieo and now I am ready to jump into the coring world. My question is what wood is most forgiving on my first attempt at coring. I have logs of Maple, Oak, Walnut, and Cherry and Maple burls.
Thank you in advance, Kevin

Steve Mawson
03-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Kevin,
My guess is that the Cherry and Walnut would be the softest of the hardwoods you list. Cherry will heat and burn easily if the tool rubs the edge too hard but I assume that would be turned away. Also make a difference if they are wet or dry. Good luck and us know how it goes. I have been considering a purchase of that tool.

I just noticed you first post, so welcome as well. Always great to have another joining in.

Roland Martin
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I haven't cored anything yet & can't offer any advice, but welcome to to the forum & hopefully you can post pics of your turnings.

Al Wasser
03-14-2010, 2:32 PM
One of our guys was going to do a demo on that tool. He brought a large dry oak hunk for the demo. He got it going and finally gave up so don't use the oak.

Bob Espy
03-14-2010, 2:50 PM
I core a lot of cherry with the Mcnaughton system. If I chuck a tenon, it will occasionally break off if I get too agressive, so I usually cut a recess for chucking. Good luck, and try not to make too many funnels.:rolleyes:

Steve Vaughan
03-14-2010, 3:02 PM
Looking forward to pictures and comments once you get going! I'm looking to make the jump and get that system as well. I'm sure it's gonna work out fine for ya and be sure to give us a report!

Ryan Baker
03-14-2010, 3:03 PM
Cherry cores pretty easily. Maple is good too (especially if green). Do not start with dry wood. Do not start with oak. Do not start with something too large (not more than about 14"). Burl seems to generally core quite nicely too (of the ones I have tried).

Have fun playing with the coring tool. Make the tenon as large as your chucks can handle. Don't expect everything to work perfectly at first either. If you have a special piece of really expensive burl that you want to make the perfect nested set with, put it aside to use after you have a lot more practice.

Bob Bergstrom
03-14-2010, 3:29 PM
If the maple is hard maple it will be more difficult than the softer variety. Make sure to put a little pressure on the belt tension. I have made my 3520 squeal when coring. Also use a diamond card and sharpen it regularly. Forget the oak, especially if it is white oak.

Tom Lewis
03-14-2010, 5:12 PM
I have found cedar and juniper pretty easy to core. I have cored lots of ash, but it is not for beginners.
Robo Hippy has a good video.
Be sure your cutting tool is on center, or a bit above center. Never below center.
Be sure to keep the end of your handle up, if you let it drop down you will probably get a catch.
Have your belt tightened so if you get a catch the belt will slip instead of the piece being ripped off the chuck.
There is a learning curve, so be patient. The McNaughton system is well worth learning to use.

Richard Madison
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Try the least valuable piece first.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Try the least valuable piece first.

+1 on that, or whatever is free. Most likely, the first attempt at coring will not result in more than 1 bowl..... I still can't get more than 2 bowls. It takes a few attempts to even get 2 bowls. If you have some free wood, I'd start on that.
I agree on NOT using dry wood, I tried to core some dry Japanese Pine, and broke the tenon 3 times, so now I have a very short bowl, instead of 1 nice sized bowl. :mad: