PDA

View Full Version : Citrus Stripper Softening Wood?

Quesne Ouaques
03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I recently started stripping the finish off of a nice set of walnut cabinets. I'm using the orange citrus stripper that you get a the BORG. I've used it before, and it's worked very well for indoor projects (i.e. stripping jobs in the shop during the winter).

This time I used it, however, it seems to have softened the wood considerably. To the point where, when I've run my cabinet scraper across it to get a final smooth finish, it does not "cut" the wood fibres, it seems to tear them. After each pass of the scraper, I end up with a semi-gooey blob of soft wood fibres along the edge of the scraper blade.

The scraper is very sharp and has a nice hook. I've tested it on another piece of walnut and it cuts like a dream.

Any one else experience this?

Paul Atkins
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Is it dry? Try washing it with hot water and let it dry thoroughly. Just a thought.

Quesne Ouaques
03-14-2010, 4:07 PM
Is it dry? Try washing it with hot water and let it dry thoroughly. Just a thought.

Thanks for the idea. I gave both doors a very thorough wash down with hot water and oil soap. We'll see how they look tomorrow.