PDA

View Full Version : waterlox over veneer with contact cement

Zach England
03-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I have done a desktop with neoprene-based contact cement adhering oak paper-backed veneer to MDF. I know many consider this an inferior method, but I have had good luck with it for years, so without getting into the merits of various ways to adhere veneer I'd like to know if I should be wary putting waterlox on this piece. I read somewhere, but cannot find where, that certain top coats can dissolve contact cement. I've never used waterlox before, but want to try it for this project. Will this be a problem?

Thanks, as always.

Jamie Buxton
03-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Got any leftover veneer? Got more cement? Make a test piece. That will give you a more definitive answer than some random guy on the web.

Doug Hobkirk
03-14-2010, 2:34 PM
Got any leftover veneer? Got more cement? Make a test piece. That will give you a more definitive answer than some random guy on the web.
BRILLIANT! ....but surely we aren't random guys on the web...surely we are special, aren't we?

Zach England
03-14-2010, 3:02 PM
I ask this because I recall reading that certain top coats can react with and degrade contact cement over time, resulting in eventual de-lamination. Unfortunately, I cannot recall which kinds nor where I read it.

I was hoping someone would know and be kind enough to impart this advice to save me some time and effort. While doing a test piece is not a bad idea, it does not tell me anything about the long-term viability of the method.

Tony Bilello
03-14-2010, 4:31 PM
I ask this because I recall reading that certain top coats can react with and degrade contact cement over time, resulting in eventual de-lamination. Unfortunately, I cannot recall which kinds nor where I read it.

I was hoping someone would know and be kind enough to impart this advice to save me some time and effort. While doing a test piece is not a bad idea, it does not tell me anything about the long-term viability of the method.

You mentioned 'neoprene' based contact cement. I am not sure what that is so I will assume it is the good ole solvent base stuff because you are worried about solvents reacting with eachother. I have heard that lacquer over a veneer will disolve the solvent based contact cement under the veneer. I'm sure in theory it could happen as they both are soluable in lacquer thinner, but not on a practical level. I personally consider this a well perpetuated urban legend. I have been spraying lacquer over paper backed veneer for almost 30 years and have never had a failure. Lets look at a few things. First, the paperback 'insulates' the contact cement from the actual wood veneer. Second, it is doubtful if the lacquer and solvents will completely penetrate through the veneer and if it did, well, we are back to the paperback 'insulating' the top side of the paperback from the bottomside of the paperbacking.
As for long term effect. The contact cement is either holding or it isnt. As the solvents evaporate from the lacquer, everything is dry and hard and no long term effect.
If you really want to know, call tech support for the veneer manufacturer and they will tell you what you can and cannot use.

Neal Clayton
03-14-2010, 4:45 PM
if you wanna be sure, why not put some sort of barrier coat (shellac, etc).

Zach England
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Tony. That is what I wanted to hear.