PDA

View Full Version : Yet another year of greatness!

Joe Shinall
03-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Dusting the sawdust off the bat bag from the corner of the garage. Getting any past disappointments out of the ole cleats. Cleaning off last year's clay and dismay from the catcher's equipment. Breaking in new leather and getting ready to build upon the respect, maturity, and the class of yet another season of the world's greatest game. 23rd year of baseball, we have a date tomorrow. Don't be cheap, ugly, and stuck up. Be prosperous, classy, beautiful, and just the way you have always been to me. In my eyes you are the way to life's salvation. Now let's go kick some ass.
-Joe Shinall, 2010

Anybody else love this game as much as I do???

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2010, 10:56 PM
My youngest son and wife DID.......

They flew from Idaho to Atlanta on 2 occasions just to watch the Braves play.

The LOML drove there with her parents just to watch the Braves play on then new field........

We watched the Braves play on the current field

Did I mention she likes the Braves?

I took her to Cynergy field in Cincinnati to watch...you guessed it the Braves play the Reds.....

From there we drove to Cooperstown.....yup....Hall of Fame.....

A week later....Chicago at St. Louis......Sossa and McGuire were having a little duet at the time.....

The son likes baseball as much......

I'm not a that much of a fan but I don't admit it here locally.....check out the Hall of Fame....Lewis-Clark State College....Lewiston, Idaho......NAIA World Series....a few times......

Lewiston Broncos........San Diego Padres farm team......A few good baseball players played here......Reggie Jackson.......Blue Moon Odom...the LOML wore Blue Moon Odom's World Series ring for an hour or so at a cookout at a neighbors one evening.......Nice guy Mr. Odom!

I took my wife to see Boston in Minneapolis.....

Baseball?

Joe Shinall
03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Nice Ken! I live in Ga and let me mention, I hate the Braves! Sorry, but I may like them once Bobby Cox retires this year.

Nope, Yankees fan here. Been to the old stadium, got pieces of the grass and warning track sitting in my office. Got to walk Monument Park. Went to a game and got to see Jorge Posada hit a grand slam. Saw Roger Clemens pitch a gem. And watched Mo close it out.

Been to PLENTY of Braves games. Although I always go just to see who they are playing.

Been to Fenway, Camiskey Park, Dolphin Stadium to see the Marlins, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Phillie, Shea, and yes, of course, Cooperstown! Even played in a pickup game at DoubleDay field as a part of the festivities of Induction week when Ozzie Smith got inducted in back in 02.

I've met players such as Ripken Jr and Sr, all the Braves back in 95(won a local radio contest and got tickets and got to meet all the players before the game and got a baseball signed by all 26 players on the roster at the time. Jeter, Posada, Clemens, Yogi, Larsen, Reggie, and the list goes on!

This is my 23rd year of playing, but over 40th season as I grew up playing in 3 leagues per year, summer, fall, and winter ball. Besides wood working and my normal job, its the only thing I know!

Thanks for posting Ken, enjoyed reading that. Glad to know there's plenty of us out there.

Zach England
03-14-2010, 8:43 AM
I don't live in a baseball market so I get MLB extra innings and have a TV in my shop, which makes for pleasant summer evenings.

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2010, 8:49 AM
This is my 23rd year of playing, but over 40th season as I grew up playing in 3 leagues per year, summer, fall, and winter ball. Besides wood working and my normal job, its the only thing I know!

Sand Gnats and Thirsty Thursday?

Love the Braves. There's just nothing like going to a game. College football is my first love with baseball a close second.

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I enjoy baseball but not a fanatic like the 20+ that camped out 2-3 days at Safeco field in Seattle for the single game tickets to go on sale yesterday. With the roster moves made over the winter there's hope for the Mariners this year.

Karl Card
03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
never have been into baseball. i have bad eyes and could never see the ball to play or see it in play..lol

I do support the TENNESSEE VOLS football program and the lady vols basketball and I used to go see the cincinnati cyclones play.. hockey is is one game that I cant stand to watch on tv but love it in real life...just so different.. I grew up in Tn though so my blood runs orange.. I did get to watch the reds beat the cubs while living in cinci though... that was fun..

Rick Moyer
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Always been my favorite sport, but I'm no purist; I think changes need to be made before we lose domestic interest. That being said, though, I do miss afternoon World Series games on the radio.
Go Phillies to a third consecutive Series

p.s. Also a Red Sox fan. I think 'cause they offered my Dad a tryout back in the 40's (he didn't go).

Joe Shinall
03-15-2010, 9:31 PM
Sand Gnats and Thirsty Thursday?

Love the Braves. There's just nothing like going to a game. College football is my first love with baseball a close second.

Haha! Nice Belinda. Good to know there's other Savannah natives on the Creek. I was the bullpen catcher for the Sand Gnats back in 03. Played a year at Valdosta and tore my labrum in my shoulder and trained with the Gnats to get back into shape and never did get fully back so I caught in the pen for their home games that year.

Joe Shinall
03-15-2010, 9:34 PM
Always been my favorite sport, but I'm no purist; I think changes need to be made before we lose domestic interest. That being said, though, I do miss afternoon World Series games on the radio.
Go Phillies to a third consecutive Series

p.s. Also a Red Sox fan. I think 'cause they offered my Dad a tryout back in the 40's (he didn't go).

Yeah, some things need to be changed, but you also gotta think when is too much change overboard. But that's a topic for a whole different forum I'm sure.

I'm sorry you're a Red Sox fan. That must really suck. :D Lol, same story though here. My dad tried out for the Charleston Yanks which was single A squad for New York back in the day. He said after the first 6 days, they hadn't even picked up a bat yet. Nothing but running. He told them if they wanted a track team then he wasn't in. He just liked to swing the bat :cool:

Belinda Barfield
03-16-2010, 7:26 AM
Haha! Nice Belinda. Good to know there's other Savannah natives on the Creek. I was the bullpen catcher for the Sand Gnats back in 03. Played a year at Valdosta and tore my labrum in my shoulder and trained with the Gnats to get back into shape and never did get fully back so I caught in the pen for their home games that year.

I don't run into many Savannahians here on the Creek. I figured you were at least familiar with the Sand Gnats. :) I gave up Thirsty Thursdays years ago, but still occasionally go to a game.

Have a good season! Oh yeah . . . pics?

jeremy levine
03-16-2010, 9:46 AM
My son starts baseball (7th grade) today, it's the only sport he thinks about.

Phyllis Meyer
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I have great memories of my Dad always watching the Cubs & White Sox (Cubs were his favorite). Take me out to the ballgame...give me some peanuts and crackerjack...

Spring is in the air...even in Wisconsin...low 60's today:D

Phyllis:)

Jason Roehl
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
A week later....Chicago at St. Louis......Sosa and McGuire were having a little duet at the time.....

"Ebony and Ivory"?

Oh, you meant duel!! :D ;)

(I just couldn't resist.)