PDA

View Full Version : HF has a slow speed grinder.

Dave Lehnert
03-13-2010, 9:45 PM
I just noticed that Harbor Freight has a slow speed grinder. 1750 rpm.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6510
$60 is not a bad price. I know most use the Woodcraft 8" Any difference using a 10" over 8"? will jigs work with each?

Dave Lehnert
03-13-2010, 9:51 PM
Just did a quick check and seems most "white" wheels come in 6" or 8".

If I use white wheels do I even need a slow speed grinder?

Jim Becker
03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
"Slow speed" grinders mostly benefit when you are working with non-HSS where heat can kill the metal very quickly. The main benefit of "white" (they are sometimes different colors) is friability...where they wear predictably so that new wheel surface is constantly exposed, rather than loading up with metal fragments like the harder "grey" wheels tend to do.

10" wheels are somewhat "non standard" for a bench grinder...and that limits supply of wheel alternatives. My suggestion is to stick with something that takes 8" diameter, 1" wide wheels.

I use a "high" speed grinder with Norton 3X (light green) wheels as well as the Oneway wheel balancing system.

James Carmichael
03-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Speed: What Jim said, only I'll add that if you're not experienced at grinding, low speed may be better, as HS grinders remove metal very fast.

Sharpening jigs: depends on the type and application. The ones for turning tools, like the Wolverine, are designed for 8" grinders, but can be used with 6" by raising the grinder 2" above the plane of the jig.

One thing to consider with regards to wheel size: a bigger wheel can grind a longer bevel without creating a hollow, or at least will create less of a hollow grind. I can't speak to the pros and cons of hollow grinds. I use a 6" grinder and they don't bother me, I actually like them on my bench chisels as they're easier to hone.

No matter the speed or size, quality, friable wheels are a must. Use the grey ones for a boat anchor.