PDA

View Full Version : Another 3520 Tailstock swinger

Jim Slovik
03-13-2010, 7:19 PM
A while ago I posted photos of a tailstock swinger I made for my 3520. That one had two sets of ways. I found that I never used the set that came into place when I tilted the tailstock. So, I made a tailstock swinger with one set of ways. It's simpler to fabricate, lighter and does the job just as well. I think this will be less intimidating of a project for those who want to give it a try.
On the second picture you can see the end view of the 1/2" diameter T-handle spring loaded plunger which locks the swinger in the upright position as well as the tilted position.
Take a look and tell me what you think.
Jim

Steve Mawson
03-13-2010, 7:40 PM
I like it. Dont suppose you have any drawings that you went by. I am pretty sure my nephew can weld it up except he lives 400 miles from me so plans might be necessary. Looks very professional.

Tom Hamilton
03-13-2010, 7:44 PM
Jim, your design and execution look like a winner.

Have you got more info. Specs, materials used, effect on the lathe with that weight hanging off the side.

Are you making them for sale to other 3520 owners?

I'm interested.

Best regards, Tom

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2010, 8:58 PM
Jim that looks like a slick unit. Looks like it works very well.

David E Keller
03-13-2010, 9:04 PM
It looks good... I use my swing away a lot more than I thought I would.

Jim Slovik
03-13-2010, 9:14 PM
I tried several times to compose a materials list but so much of what I use depends on what is available at the time that it makes it hard to do. This should give you an idea anyway.
I used a piece of schedule 80 pipe with heavy duty sealed bearings and a 3/4" grade 8 bolt for the pivot point. I welded a nut to the mounting plate and screwed the bolt/pipe/bearings to it. For the ways I used 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 8" steel welded to a 5" wide x 6" long x 1 3/4" high C channel. The space between the pipe and the C channel is filled with flat stock. The size of that would depend on the diameter of the pipe you use. I really regret not taking detailed photos. That would have made things very easy. I should have known better, I did the same thing last time. If somebody wants to make one of these, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll talk you through it.
I haven't noticed any effects by having the tailstock off to the side. The unit is rock solid.

Bill Bolen
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Slick piece of fabrication Jim. Looks as good or better than many of the manufactured units on the market...Bill...

Baxter Smith
03-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Nice job with a relatively simple design. Almost wish I needed to make one.:)

Don Geiger
03-14-2010, 6:38 AM
Dear fellow woodturners:

This looks very much like the one PATENTED by Brent English, at Robust Lathes. Take a look: www.turnrobust.com (http://www.turnrobust.com). He has models for his lathes and the Powermatic.

Don

Gary Conklin
03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Don I disagree, looks similar but only in function. Besides it doesn't appear that these are being offered for sale. A lot of woodworkers make and use copies of marketed tools.

A fine piece of fabricating.

Brent English
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Just for clarification, Robust Tools does make a Tilt-A-Matic for the PM 3520, and Don Geiger is right, the FUNCTION of tilting the tailstock is a patent I, Brent English, have, Patent #: 7,316,173.

That said, absolutely nothing precludes Jim or anyone else from making any patented design for their own personal use. The trouble comes if you try to sell it and it is proven that it infringes on the patent.

Hope this isn't seen as a commercial post. Looks like Jim did a nice job putting his together.

Regards, Brent English, Robust Tools

Gary Conklin
03-14-2010, 2:34 PM
I stand corrected. Thank you Brent for your input.

Tim Rinehart
04-13-2010, 4:31 PM
I was considering building a swinger of sorts for my PM3520, but started thinking that there would be too many times when I want the tailstock completely out of the way and allow a full approach up to and around end of the lathe...and not have to drag it up and down as the tailstock doesn't line up easily the way the clamp 'puck' is offset to the back.

I built a table on casters with a platform to slide the tailstock onto, and the table serves multiple purposes.

- Slide the tailstock off when not needed
- Have place to set tools and other supplies while working
- Drawer in bottom where I store buffing supplies, etc....
- Other storage on back side also.

...plus...the other similar chore involves mounting bed extensions, which can require two people. The table has a cover over a lower platform where the extension is stored, and is at the correct elevation to bring it up and bolt in place very easily. In the first picture, that cover is installed and has a holder on it for turning tools and other supplies sitting on it.

If I want to mount the extension along the main bed, the cover is exactly 9" tall...so setting it on top of the cover allows same ability to line up, install bolts...and voila!

I threw this together with a sheet of 3/4" plywood and scraps, and a piece of 2" wide steel rail from Home Depot, cut into 12" long pieces and screwed down.

I like it very well, and it has provided good storage ability and functionality.

dan carter
04-13-2010, 7:12 PM
You did a good job. Most any Mustard owner in need of a tailstock swinger would be proud to use this one. :-)

Chris Haas
04-13-2010, 9:17 PM
tim, i like your style. i will be copying your rollabout. very nice and functional.

Tony Pridmore
04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Tim, great idea!

I sent you a PM.

-Tony