PDA

View Full Version : Questions about old Delta tablesaw

Ian CJones
03-12-2010, 2:45 AM
Hi, new to this forum. I work on boats, and mostly engine, mechanical, electrical and welding. Not really a good woodworker!

Anyway, I have this old Delta Rockwell table saw. I have the serial number:
114-3962. It's old, heavy and quiet! It has an old round one horsepower motor that will run on 120-240 volts.

Looking for any information or manuals anyone would be willing to share, or maybe useful links. The power switch says "Unisaw". It will be a handy tool for the collection of other implements I already have!

Also interested in ideas for a riving knife. There is a small clamping mechanism just after the blade that looks like a possible attachment point.

Thanks for any input!

~Ian

Ian CJones
03-12-2010, 2:47 AM
Hi, new to this forum. I work on boats, and mostly engine, mechanical, electrical and welding. Not really a good woodworker!

Anyway, I have this old Delta Rockwell table saw. I have the serial number:
114-3962. It's old, heavy and quiet! It has an old round one horsepower motor that will run on 120-240 volts.

Looking for any information or manuals anyone would be willing to share, or maybe useful links. The power switch says "Unisaw". It will be a handy tool for the collection of other implements I already have!

Also interested in ideas for a riving knife. There is a small clamping mechanism just after the blade that looks like a possible attachment point.

Thanks for any input!

~Ian
Sorry guys, I already put this in the wrong place!
New guy...:rolleyes:

~Ian

Bob Vallaster
03-12-2010, 8:20 AM
You have what I would term a 'keeper.'
Venerable machine from the good old days of manufacturing. Great parts and accessories availability. Reasonably easy to maintain and/or modify.
Popular upgrades are a t-square fence and a premium blade.
Don't be seduced into the Tim Taylor quest for more power. The old bullet motor gives good service.
You can search Sawmill Creek using terms like 'Unisaw rebuild' to find others' experience with your machine.
Or visit this site for detailed information (drawings, manual, photos, discussion): http://owwm.com/
If new to table saws in general, I suggest reading more posts on techinque and downloading (at OWWM or Delta sites) a users manual.
Use it. Enjoy it.

BobV

Ian CJones
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
You have what I would term a 'keeper.'
Venerable machine from the good old days of manufacturing. Great parts and accessories availability. Reasonably easy to maintain and/or modify.
Popular upgrades are a t-square fence and a premium blade.
Don't be seduced into the Tim Taylor quest for more power. The old bullet motor gives good service.
You can search Sawmill Creek using terms like 'Unisaw rebuild' to find others' experience with your machine.
Or visit this site for detailed information (drawings, manual, photos, discussion): http://owwm.com/
If new to table saws in general, I suggest reading more posts on techinque and downloading (at OWWM or Delta sites) a users manual.
Use it. Enjoy it.

BobV

Thanks for the information! I am happy with this old saw and plan to keep it. It's a beast of a machine, but has seen some misuse unfortunately.

~Ian

Chip Lindley
03-13-2010, 3:50 PM
It's hard to beat an old Unisaw! Clean up the beast and decide if you can repair or replace the *abused* parts. (you don't say what abuse the saw suffered)

Some TLC and you will definately have a keeper for life!

Ed Griner
03-13-2010, 6:36 PM
I have a delta of similar vintage,been in use by me for 15yrs..I haven't needed to replace or repair one thing.It runs great.I use forrest blades on it and I added a injection molded motor cover(E-Bay-$90.00) for dust collection and it was painted. Good luck/ Ed

Dave Cav
03-13-2010, 9:20 PM
One of the best 10" saws ever made, and the old R/I bullet motor will provide plenty of torque and power. Head over to OWWM.org and OWWM.com for more info than you can possibly absorb.

Ian CJones
03-14-2010, 1:55 AM
It's hard to beat an old Unisaw! Clean up the beast and decide if you can repair or replace the *abused* parts. (you don't say what abuse the saw suffered)

Some TLC and you will definately have a keeper for life!

Just a few dings on the table. Looked like it was a work bench. Paint drips,etc.
I cleaned up the table and oiled it. The tubing rails that the fence slides on are a little rough, nothing major.

~Ian

Ian CJones
03-14-2010, 3:02 AM
One of the best 10" saws ever made, and the old R/I bullet motor will provide plenty of torque and power. Head over to OWWM.org and OWWM.com for more info than you can possibly absorb.

OWWM.org...Yes, spent a few hours on that site. The best I can figure, it was built in 1955, in Bellafountaine, Ohio. Amazing old iron!
I got it on trade for an 115 volt Miller MIG welder that I didn't need (I have many welders). I also got a Delta/Rockwell jointer of the same vintage. Dont really know what to do with the jointer though. It's in the classifieds section.

Thanks for the help!

~Ian

Dave Cav
03-14-2010, 4:30 PM
OWWM.org...Yes, spent a few hours on that site. The best I can figure, it was built in 1955, in Bellafountaine, Ohio. Amazing old iron!
I got it on trade for an 115 volt Miller MIG welder that I didn't need (I have many welders). I also got a Delta/Rockwell jointer of the same vintage. Dont really know what to do with the jointer though. It's in the classifieds section.

Thanks for the help!

~Ian

Well, if you're going to do any serious (or even halfway serious) woodworking, a jointer can be pretty handy. If you've never used one, it is one of those things that you didn't know you needed until you start using it on a regular basis.