PDA

View Full Version : JetDirect print server?

James Terry
03-13-2010, 6:34 PM
My Mercury only has serial and parallel interfaces. I've been trying to place it on a print server so I can send jobs from multiple machines but I just cant get it working. I have gotten it to where the job gets sent and deleted but nothing goes into the laser. I am guessing that the parallel communication to the laser is not printing standard so thats why this is failing.

I have read that some folks have used external print servers on their lasers but has anyone been successful doing this with a GCC box?

It does work if you connect to a pc and then share the printer across the network, so that is going to have to be my attack I guess.

Robert Ray
03-15-2010, 3:42 PM
I have a Laserpro Vensu and a Laserpro C180 side by side on one D-Link DP-300U Multi-Port Print Server, with RJ45 to Two IEEE 1284 Parallel Ports and 1 USB 2.0 Port. It works great for those 2 lasers, and I have another Venus on a D-Link DP-301P+ Single LPT Print Server.

It was confusing to install the printserver drivers, but once installed, all I had to do was install the printer drivers for the lasers, and point them to use the correct print server port.

The 301P has been running for 5 years without issue and the 300U has been running for 1.5 years so far.

-Robert Ray