PDA

View Full Version : Library Desk

Jim Morrow
03-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi guys,
This is my version of a library desk original designed by Harvey Ellis while he was working for Gustav Stickley. The original version was made out of QS white oak (what a surprise), my version is made out of Curly maple with padauk accents. A combination I will never use again, although I really like the look, keeping the padauk from migrating into the maple turned out to be quite a challenge. All the construction is pretty straight forward mortise and tenon. The mortises are pegged with square padauk pins. The drawer fronts are edged with 1/8 x 1/4 padauk. Instead of going with my usual half blind dovetails on the drawers, I went with rabbets pined with padauk dowels, no reason, I just wanted to go with something different. I went with breadboard ends on the top which is a change from the original design. The only reason is it gave me an excuse to use padauk pegs, which I thought would look nice and help tie the desk together. The ends of the top were rounded over with a hand plane. the finish is sprayed lacquer. I used those aerosol spray cans, what a pain, maybe this will give me motivation to hook up my spray gun. Well that’s about it, I hope you all like it, I’m pretty happy.
Thanks for looking,
Jim

http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200303/deskbb.jpg

Jim Young
03-31-2003, 10:12 PM
That looks very nice. I do like the constrast.

What do you mean by "migrating into the maple"?

Can you post a close up of the bottom portion of the leg?

Steve Clardy
03-31-2003, 10:36 PM
I like the pegged mortise and tenons.

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-01-2003, 8:07 AM
That's beautiful. 'Nuff said.

Jim...the padauk will 'bleed' into the maple during sanding or finishing if you're not careful.

KC

Jim Morrow
04-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Jim Young

What do you mean by "migrating into the maple"?

Can you post a close up of the bottom portion of the leg?

Hey Jim,
To add to what KC said. I'm not sure what it is about padauk but the sawdust sticks to everything and is very hard to get off. When you apply a finish, even a spray finish, any sawdust that is left behind combines with the finish and stains the maple. If you try to wipe it off, the dust gets pushed into any crevices and when finished creeps out and stains the wood. (I learned this the hard way) I found that you need to vacuum the piece to get all the saw dust off.

Sorry I don't have a close up of the leg.

Thanks for your interest,
Jim Morrow