PDA

View Full Version : Batter's helmet, finally finished

Mike Minto
03-13-2010, 5:54 PM
I posted this before, after turning but prior to finishing. My first hat (it's difficult to find a blank large enough to make one!). Maple, with a burned logo I tried to make look like worn leather or cloth - my dad was from Chicago's southside, 1922. Anyways, finished with wipe-on poly, buffed and waxed. Might fit a kid, or even a teenager, but not my big melon :rolleyes:.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2010, 5:58 PM
Great looking cap Mike. Really well done.

Karl Card
03-13-2010, 6:04 PM
that is neat to say the least... i could have used one of those when i started turning bowls... i had 3 of them to fly off and wiz by my head..

Kevin J Lalonde
03-13-2010, 6:07 PM
Nice job!! Thats a tutorial waiting to happen! So when can i expect it?? :D I'd really be interested in making one of those. Is there a website or plan that you used? Thanks

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 6:56 PM
Mike, that is very original!! See a lot of the "hat" makers, but I think this is the first "cap" I have seen. Nice piece of maple, too.

Frank Van Atta
03-13-2010, 7:46 PM
Very nice hat.

Bob Borzelleri
03-13-2010, 7:58 PM
Great cap, Mike. My father used to take me to Yankee games when I was quite young and living in Manhattan. On a recent trip to NY, I bit the bullet and bought a Yankee cap and then promptly lost it. Maybe, if I turn one, I'll keep better track of it.:)

Yours is inspiring.

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2010, 8:35 PM
Mike - I believe this is the first ball cap that I have seen turned! Really nice work - especially on the logo!

Paul Douglass
03-13-2010, 8:54 PM
Now that is ..., well ... ah .... AWESOME! I have always been in awe of the hat turners. Never figured it out even after watching a video somewhere of one being turned. Very nice job. Congrats. Not sure about the team, but I'm in Mariner country so can't say much.

David E Keller
03-13-2010, 9:12 PM
Nice looking ball cap... It's on my list of things to try. I can only hope that it turns out as well as that one.

Baxter Smith
03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Cool cap! Looks great but would be better with a B.:)

John W Dixon
03-14-2010, 3:54 PM
Mike that is awesome and as a Cubs fan I love it!! Great job.

John

Bob Bergstrom
03-14-2010, 4:02 PM
Great hat. I gotta asked how your dad survived growing up on the south side of Chicago being a Cubs fan. In my south side neighbor hood you got beat up if you wore a Cubs hat. If it was a Yankee hat you were risking death.:rolleyes:

Darin Kauffman
03-14-2010, 4:07 PM
Cool cap! Looks great but would be better with a B.:)

:D

I was waiting for that or a Yank comment. Funny stuff.

Great looking piece of wood, and overall well done. Kudos on trying something different.

Roland Martin
03-14-2010, 7:24 PM
Great job on this cap, a lot of work got put into that to to put a "C" on it:D:D! A "B" would have been an easier burn. All kidding aside, a fantastic job on all levels Mike.

Robert McGowen
03-14-2010, 7:37 PM
Great job, Mike! A one-of-a-kind for sure.

Mike Minto
03-16-2010, 4:31 PM
Nice job!! Thats a tutorial waiting to happen! So when can i expect it?? :D I'd really be interested in making one of those. Is there a website or plan that you used? Thanks

kevin, no, i just 'winged' it. it was quite an experience, very wet wood slinging water at me and visibly drying at the same time. the cap almost became a Sherlock Holmes deerslayer as it had 2 brims, on opposite sides, but I opted to make it into what you see here. it's the only hat i've ever turned, but if (when) i get around to making another, i'll do a tutorial, of sorts - i'm certainly no authority on the subject, but can show how i did it. (oh, btw, the defects you see on the display stand are repairs i've yet to finish :o).