PDA

View Full Version : I need a lil help please

Jordan Lane
03-13-2010, 5:07 PM
Can anyone suggest how to get a 600 pound PM 2700 out of the back of a pick up with almost no help?? i am suppose to pick one up tomorrow and i am not sure what to do. It will be loaded for me with a forklift but i have to get it off once home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray Newman
03-13-2010, 5:15 PM
Rent a pick up truck with a lift gate.

Engine hoist? But I 'dunno' if the engine will have the height required to get it off safely the truck bed. Better ask the rental company if a hoist will work as I'm beginning to have doubts as if it will....

Mark Beall
03-13-2010, 5:16 PM
Whenever I have to get a multi-hundred pound tool from here to there and can't roll it, some disassembly is usually involved. Don't know how hard it would be with that machine, but taking the top off and removing the motor will probably bring the pieces down to closer to 200 lbs each.

mark

Karl Card
03-13-2010, 5:42 PM
bring it to my house and if you will help me get it out of truck ill help you load it into my basement...lol

Think about this, do you have anyway of making a "slide" for it and just a slight angle or even a bridge for it to go from truck to land. Do you have a come along? that you could use to pull it with?

If there is a will there is a way, believe me I have very heavy stuff in my basement "where my shop is" and I have had to get real imaginative.

good luck to you though

Daniel Smith
03-13-2010, 5:48 PM
If the saw is on a pallet, you can use a pair of 8 foot 2x10s as ramps. Just have them in the bed when the saw is loaded and once you get to where you are going, pull the boards and pallet to the edge of the tailgate. It's relatively easy (if a bit awkward) to push the boards down, then the saw should gently slide off. I took delivery of a cabinet saw (PCS) two weekends ago and that is how we got it out of the truck.

Dave Gallaher
03-13-2010, 5:48 PM
Hire a car hauler that uses a ramp/bed. Have him back up to your garage, tilt and use his winch to ease it off.

Tom Hamilton
03-13-2010, 6:02 PM
Hi Jordan:

A couple of thoughts to add to the mix:

Black cast iron pipe makes great rollers. Keep two or three pieces under the pallet and have your helper move a piece from the back to the front as you move the saw.

The folks on OWWM.org move heavy stuff all the time. You might search the archives there for hints.

If you use the 2X10 ramps be sure to have vertical braces under them.

And if it starts to move the wrong direction, GET OUT OF THE WAY. You probably can't stop the momentum of a 700 # load coming at your knees.

All the best, Tom

Myk Rian
03-13-2010, 6:06 PM
My shop is in the garage.
I have a 1 ton chain fall to lift heavy objects. A couple 2x4s holding the joists up keep the roof from falling down around me.

William Hutchinson
03-13-2010, 6:33 PM
I rented a utility trailer with a ramp to move all my major tools. The trailer is low and the ramp made it easy and safe to off load. I also did this without help.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/trailer-5x9open.jpg

Jim O'Dell
03-13-2010, 6:40 PM
Lots of good suggestions here, but not a one commenting on the stealth gloat!!! You won't get any congrats until we see a picture, you know that, right? :D:D:D Jim.

Philip Johnson
03-13-2010, 6:46 PM
Jordan I have the same shaper and it is heavy taking the top off is not an option...not as easy as a table saw I am lucky to have a small tractor and loader to lift it off. I would be leary to slide it down ramps with it upright...probably tip over. If you can lay it on the back and slide it down maybe be an option but I am not sure if you can lay it down or not.

When they loaded mine they had like a pallet jack or hand fork lift that went high enough to get into a truck...not sure if you can rent anything like that or not.

If you do manage to get it off I'm sure you will enjoy it...its a very nice shaper. Did you get the matching gold power feed to go with it.

Phil

Josh Bowman
03-13-2010, 7:12 PM
If it's has a medium to low center of gravity or can be made to have that by putting it on a side, this method has worked for me many times and is easy.
Take 2 8 to 10 foot, the longer the easier 2x6 or 2x8's put them under the load on each side. Assumming the load is at the front of the bed, slide the load and 2x's like a sled until the load on the 2x's is just on the tail gate. At this point get someone else to monitor the load while you lower the 2x's toward the ground. The load will very slowly slide and can be controlled by raising the 2x's. Soon the load will be at the full incline and you can just help it slide the rest of the way.
I did this with my Laguna Band saw (on it's side). I learned it when years ago I bought a Vermont Casting wood stove and the owner of the company showed me how. Works great.....keep the 2x's level, which keeps the load level. The spotter can help steady the load.
Once on the ground, assumming it has some kind of flat bottom, you can use 1 1/2" PVC pipe pieces to do the Eyption thing and roll it where you want it. I've rolled very heavy tools this way and an yet to break one.
Good luck and be careful.
Josh

Jonathan Hsu
03-13-2010, 8:27 PM
Not as heavy, but when I picked up my Ridgid 4511 TS, I used a power lift gate and moving dollies. I got the pallet measurements and put two cheap HF moving dollies together. Kept them together with a couple of 1/4 so that they wouldn't squirm around. Had HD put the pallet on top of the dollies with their forklift. I rented a box van with a power tail gate. Got the TS and a generator home w/o too much drama. Be careful as you lower the tailgate as it does NOT lower parallel with the ground. There is a slight tipping towards the end of the lift gate. I don't know if they're all like this, but check it out before your load starts rolling towards the end of the ramp. A couple of simple chocks would be helpful.

I didn't want to spend the money, but all of the alternatives had more effort and potentially more risky. I weighed the $50 rental (2 hr charge and just 4 against hurting myself or my new purchases.

David Prince
03-13-2010, 8:49 PM
Rent or borrow a hand truck like this. It will help you move it around. I used one to load and unload my tablesaw. A couple people to help is necessary. Put the handcart on the PM and roll it towards the endgate. Lay it backwards with the handled towards your cab. Slide the cart off the end with two people below and one on the handles using 2x ramps and slide it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65685

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

Jim Rimmer
03-13-2010, 9:00 PM
Rent or borrow a hand truck like this. It will help you move it around. I used one to load and unload my tablesaw. A couple people to help is necessary. Put the handcart on the PM and roll it towards the endgate. Lay it backwards with the handled towards your cab. Slide the cart off the end with two people below and one on the handles using 2x ramps and slide it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65685

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
U-Haul used to rent those.

kenneth kayser
03-13-2010, 9:10 PM
My shop is in the garage.
I have a 1 ton chain fall to lift heavy objects. A couple 2x4s holding the joists up keep the roof from falling down around me.

You can probably buy a 1/2 ton come-along at Harbor Freight or the like for under $30.00. I think any floor joist will easily hold 600#, but 2x4 ties will need some help. I use a come-along in my basement frequently for lifting. Why strain or have to get help?

Peter Quinn
03-13-2010, 9:25 PM
Get help. you didn't mention, is the shop in a garage? If so, back in, lift it via the joists, then drop it. That is way too much eight to carry with a hand truck, and a lot of it is in the top end, so when you tilt the hand truck it gets heavy fast, if you can even lean it back.

I lowered a slightly lighter shaper into the basement shop with a hand truck but had a second person helping. We rolled it out of my van, then used the van and a strong cable to lower it down some ramps. It helps to get help.

Jeff Willard
03-13-2010, 9:49 PM
It'd sure be worth the price of a case of beer to me to keep from damaging the shaper-or myself. With a case of beer, you can surely find a couple of "friends".

Chris Parks
03-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I had the other problem once. I arrived to pick up a Planer, a big planer but as I had never seen it I had no idea of just how big. It had to go on a box trailer and we had no winch, only rope and muscle. We took the motor off it to lighten the load a bit, the motor has a lifting hook on it so you can guess how much that weighed and got to work (two of us). It took an hour and much sweat but using one rope as a winch, multiple levers etc it went on. Amazing what you can do when you want. Getting things off trailers is easy, tilt and slide.

Eric DeSilva
03-13-2010, 11:15 PM
I've now done this several times... Beg, borrow or rent a decent engine hoist--not one of the HF specials, but something made for a real 1T load. Usually made of rectangular steel tubing, not something that looks like it came off a bicycle. Hoist the saw up just enough to clear the bed of the truck. Drive truck from underneath saw. Lower saw to ground.

Ted Calver
03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
I bought a hydraulic lift table from Harbor Freight after seeing how much use Keith Outten gets out of his. It works great for taking big stuff out of the truck, and is also a big help in the shop. It will let you get the load out of the truck and lowered down to where you can more easily slide it off onto blocks and then the floor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93116

Jordan Lane
03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
thank you for all the suggestions.... the pm 2700 will be delivered on Tuesday on a lift gate truck ..whew..thank goodness. Thank you guys again but this machine is compact and extremely heavy and the dealer at the show ( good price well below the PM discounts) seemed willing to work with me on delivery...no I didn't get the feeder.. i am hoping the grizz feeder i have from my 3 hp grizz shaper will bolt up...will have to see. if not I'll get a gold one...thanks again fellas!!!!

Jim Becker
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
When I bought a cabinet saw in 2000, I used a borrowed hydraulic lift table to get it off the back of the borrowed pickup truck and into my shop. I was fortunately able to back up right to the double doors so that the lift table could remain on the concrete in the shop while I levered the crate onto its surface.