PDA

View Full Version : They changed the PENNY?????

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2010, 1:35 PM
Who gave them permission to do this? I've been awake pretty much every day lately. How did I miss THIS????

Can they do that? It's like sacred ground, history.... I wasn't consulted, were you? Who do I write to?

There are a bunch of designs, here's one. I don't like it, I still favor the chaffs of wheat:

Zach England
03-13-2010, 2:24 PM
I favor the defenestration of the penny.

Paul Ryan
03-13-2010, 3:27 PM

I don't like that idea at all. I use pennys all of the time. All of a sudden it would be rounded to a nickle. Taxes are high enough I can't afford that extra .04 just my .02.

I personally like the new design, but I do like the wheat on the old as well.

Rory Talkington
03-13-2010, 3:42 PM
Numismatists (say that three times fast) have quite a lobby and are very influential with the Mints. Some of us who have been collecting pennies for a long time are pleased to have Honest Abe get a new look. :D

Kent A Bathurst
03-13-2010, 3:55 PM

That there is a pretty doggone big word for us folks here in Gaaawgia. 'Course, my grad degree is from Mich State - which means even less if you ask around Ann Arbor:D.

Had a sonderful vacation in New Zealand mayabe 10 yrs ago. At that time $1.00NZ = $0.55US. They don't have a penny coin - the cash registers were all programmed to round down on 1 or 2, and round up on 3 or 4. I'm all in favor of that. MIght as well - I leave all the pennies behind. Qt jar full and I don't need any more.

Bruce Page
03-13-2010, 4:40 PM
Numismatist and defenestration. I learned two new words today!:)

Joe Mioux
03-13-2010, 5:22 PM
Numismatist and defenestration. I learned two new words today!:)

now use both words in a sentence. ;)

btw I keep seeing more and more canadian pennies show up in my cash drawers at work. Is Canada flooding the u.s. market with their currency? :rolleyes:

David G Baker
03-13-2010, 6:20 PM
Anyone remember the mil? I haven't seen one in around 60 years.

Kevin Gregoire
03-13-2010, 6:21 PM
i thought they were doing away with the penny?

Bruce Page
03-13-2010, 7:04 PM

btw I keep seeing more and more canadian pennies show up in my cash drawers at work. Is Canada flooding the u.s. market with their currency? :rolleyes:

Upon finding his prized collection had been stolen, the distraught numismatist committed suicide by defenestration. :eek::rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2010, 7:09 PM
Bruce, I gave your sig a shot.... nada.

http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/thesaurus/

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2010, 7:12 PM

Zach, that was funny, just remember to open it first...........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2010, 7:16 PM

It's a plot, first Zach uses a French based word, then we sneak our pennies into your country..........it's 1812 again:D

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Bratt
03-13-2010, 8:17 PM
There are actually four - in 2009, the United States Mint issued four different one-cent coins in recognition of the bicentennial of President Abraham Lincoln's birth and the 100th anniversary of the first issuance of the Lincoln cent. The themes for the reverse designs represent the four major aspects of President Lincoln's life.

Plus another for 2010.

The Secretary of the Treasury approved the reverse design for the coin after consultation with the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts and review by the Citizen's Coinage Advisory Committee. Maybe you should join...

Jim Rimmer
03-13-2010, 9:05 PM
Dave, your giving away the age of those who even know what a mill is. As a kid I remember talk about the mill tax and, yes, even remember seeing mill coins. In OK they were black metal (zinc? lead?) with a hole in the middle.

Zach England
03-13-2010, 9:21 PM
It's a plot, first Zach uses a French based word, then we sneak our pennies into your country..........it's 1812 again:D

Regards, Rod.

fairly certain it is derived from the Latin "fenestra" (la fenetre, la ventana, das fenster)

Colin Giersberg
03-13-2010, 9:24 PM
And I have yet to see even one.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Dave, it just happened that yesterday I was digging through a small pile of stuff that was in a dresser drawer and came across an Oklahoma 5 mill token. This one is brass with a hole in the middle. I did a search on them and found the states that used them and that they were made of a variety of things, including cardboard. (There were also thirteen steel cents in the pile). I had learned something, so I quit for the day. :D

Karl Card
03-14-2010, 3:19 AM
unfortunately I dont think the change is going to stop at the penny...

Zach England
03-14-2010, 8:45 AM
I never look at pennies--or any other change for that matter. On the rare occasions I use cash and have change it goes into my pocket, then into a jar on my dresser. I'd bet it has at least $100 in it.

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2010, 8:55 AM
What's up with all this anti pennyism? I still pick pennies up when I see them on the ground. I rarely spend change when making purchases. I put it all in a big jar then once a year I roll the coins and cash them in. It's fun money for me!:) A few years ago it was my gambling money while in Vegas.

Mitchell Andrus
03-14-2010, 9:23 AM
I never look at pennies--or any other change for that matter. On the rare occasions I use cash and have change it goes into my pocket, then into a jar on my dresser. I'd bet it has at least $100 in it.

My wife and I saved up for our first dish washer that way, in 1983. Ah.... good times.

Mitchell Andrus
03-14-2010, 9:27 AM
What's up with all this anti pennyism? I still pick pennies up when I see them on the ground.

My grandmother would pick up a face-up penny and feel special for the rest of the day. Face-downs were left to curse someone else's day. Really. She's been gone for 28 years, every time I see a penny on the ground I think of her - and pick up only the face-ups.

Zach England
03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
My wife and I saved up for our first dish washer that way, in 1983. Ah.... good times.

How do you count it? Will they take it at the bank?

I was born in 1983.

Mitchell Andrus
03-14-2010, 10:34 AM

I was born in 1983.

Kid, go get me a glass of water.

Some banks have machines in the lobby that count it and print a receipt you then take to the window.

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2010, 1:59 PM

I was born in 1983.

Zach, Zach, you've missed one of the little but great joys in life. You've never dumped out all of your coins, counted them and put them in the appropriate coin wrapper, then carried a box of rolled coins to cash them in? Really? Or you can pay a machine to count them out for you . . . but what's the fun in that. Coins are money, just like paper (or plastic to you). ;)

Zach England
03-14-2010, 3:25 PM
Guess I should do something with the change...

It might be enough for that Lie Nielsen no. 2 I have been thinking about.

Rod Sheridan
03-14-2010, 5:58 PM
fairly certain it is derived from the Latin "fenestra" (la fenetre, la ventana, das fenster)

Yes it is, also fenetre is French for widow and it fit better with the 1812 theme.

Thanks Zach for ruining what I thought was funny:D

Regards, Rod

Lee Schierer
03-15-2010, 8:04 AM

Regards, Rod.

Rod, just be aware that we still have the Brig Niagara on the Great Lakes.....
http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures02/niagara-pg.jpg

Lee Schierer
03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Who gave them permission to do this? I've been awake pretty much every day lately. How did I miss THIS????

Can they do that? It's like sacred ground, history.... I wasn't consulted, were you? Who do I write to?

There are a bunch of designs, here's one. I don't like it, I still favor the chaffs of wheat:

Sorry to disappoint you, but the change to the Penny was announced early last year (2009). That there would be 4 versions commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln and the 100th Anniversary of the Lincoln Cent. There is a new design (http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/lincolnredesign/?flash=yes) for 2010 that will continue for some time.
http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/lincolnRedesign/2010-Penny-unc-rev.jpg

Meanwhile I hope the new pennies arrive soon as I need to deliver a desk by April 5 and I don't have a penny of the current year for it yet.

Jerome Hanby
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
The coin collectors repeated insistence on being called a Numismatist resulted in his untimely end by defenestration.

Rod Sheridan
03-15-2010, 7:20 PM
And does she ever look beautiful.

Hang on a moment while I look for a photo of our 6 man canoe:D

Regards, Rod.

Rory Talkington
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Lee,

It is my understanding that the 2010 Lincoln penny may not be released by the Mint for a while....? Oddly enough..:rolleyes:.. you can get them on the big internet auction site. Let me know if if you need one, I have a way to....etc.

Aaron Hastings
03-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Doesn't it cost more that one cent to make a penny?

Jon Lanier
03-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey, I got wind that they may put Ronald Reagan on the $50 or $100 bill.

Bill Cunningham
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM

Now ain't that strange, I keep getting American pennys in 'my' till.. Been throwing them in a box under the counter for about 20 years now.. Think I have about 10 bucks! By the way, hang onto the Canadian pennies, a few years ago they were worth 10% more than the U.S. pennies, and their headed that way again..

wells conklin
03-17-2010, 7:40 AM
I really liked the one with Honest Abe sitting on the log taking a break from log-splitting. I gave a lot of pennies away, shiney and new, to youngsters including my 11 grandkids and used the occasions as teachable moments They were all ears, too! He was young (no beard yet) and hard-working. You can see the mallet and the splitting wedge. Even on breaktime he didn't waste any time, but used the opportunity to read -- something that is fast becoming a lost avocation in our computer "enhanced" (?) society. Then I would ask my young friends, "But what is he doing?" I'd listen to their answers and then offer: "He was preparing himself to be President of the United States of America! What are you preparing yourself for today?"
So these pennies can be great conversation-starters and teaching tools for us parents and grandparents.

john brady
03-26-2010, 5:43 PM
They changed the penny?

Now they already said that it costs MORE money to make a penny than a penny is worth. So now they go and spend MORE money on making a NEW one?!

GOOD GOD what a COUNTRY!!

Mike Cruz
03-26-2010, 7:47 PM
Changing the penny, it must be a government conspiracy. Either that, or just some revenue scheme for the government to make money on us...:rolleyes:

Ed Harrow
03-27-2010, 4:45 PM
'They' changed the penny back in '82 (IIRC) - they're now made of zinc with a copper wash. Weigh less, too. I wonder what they do on a RR track. I do know that the new ones fly apart (shatter is too strong a word) when first cooled with LN2 and then smacked with a hammer.

Belinda Barfield
03-28-2010, 12:47 PM
I wonder what they do on a RR track. I do know that the new ones fly apart (shatter is too strong a word) when first cooled with LN2 and then smacked with a hammer.

Ed, that brings back some memories. I grew up near the tracks and I wish I had a dollar for every penny I flattened. :)

Lee Schierer
03-29-2010, 9:45 AM
'They' changed the penny back in '82 (IIRC) - they're now made of zinc with a copper wash. Weigh less, too. I wonder what they do on a RR track. I do know that the new ones fly apart (shatter is too strong a word) when first cooled with LN2 and then smacked with a hammer.

You just get a gray smudge of metal with speckles of copper, that is if it doesn't fall off the track. DAMHIKT.:eek:

Has anyone actually seen a 2010 penny yet in circulation?

Dennis Peacock
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Yes, and I have a few of them here.

Carlos Alden
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Zach, Zach, you've missed one of the little but great joys in life. You've never dumped out all of your coins, counted them and put them in the appropriate coin wrapper, then carried a box of rolled coins to cash them in? Really? Or you can pay a machine to count them out for you . . . but what's the fun in that. Coins are money, just like paper (or plastic to you). ;)

There are Coinstar machines out there that count and give you a receipt for cash exchange at the store...You just dump in your money and it does the rest - but they charge 8%. For a few dollars it's not so much, but if you bring in a big old jar you begin to lose a lot of money. It's so easy to roll your coins every month or so. I've got a small plastic repository - you drop the coins in every day, and when that denomination slot fills up, you grab a paper roll, put it in, invert the whole machine, and voila - a roll of quarters.

Carlos