PDA

View Full Version : Gimmick or useful saw?

David Cefai
03-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I recently saw a backsaw which was billed as "cuts in both directions". The teeth had the same angle front and back.

Does anyone have an opinion whether this be a usfeul saw to have or would it be a problem to control?

David Gendron
03-13-2010, 1:08 PM
Was the saw a new saw? or a vintage saw? I know that some XC saws ended up with teeth like that from filing and not jointing and reshaping the teeth before resharpening!
Do you have a picture of the saw? I don't think it would cut in both direction, since usualy there is only the front of the teeth that are sharpened!

Jim Koepke
03-13-2010, 1:09 PM
The proof is in the using.

Do you know if it is filed for rip or crosscut? Not sure if a saw like that would work for rip cuts.

jim

harry strasil
03-13-2010, 2:35 PM
The old timers called that configuration "Pug Tooth", I have an short 8 ppi Disston filed "pug tooth" and it cuts both directions, you just have to learn to put pressure on the back stroke. Western style saw handles are really not configured to be used on the back stroke.

george wilson
03-13-2010, 6:47 PM
A saw that cuts in both directions does not cut as well in either direction as a normal saw. IIRC,in FWW magazine,some time ago,there was an article by some guy about sharpening. He filed his teeth in perfectly vertical pyramids. I wondered at the time WHY they'd let this guy write such an article. I don't recall any mention that his teeth would cut equally in both directions,but I may not have read it carefully. I just thought the article was so bizarre.

Russell Sansom
03-14-2010, 4:08 AM
Also...
Western benches are designed, in general, to support work on the push stroke. A cutting bench ( stool ) counts on gravity and a down stroke...etc.

David Cefai
03-14-2010, 8:07 AM
The saw was new. I assume that as it was a backsaw it was not intended for ripping.

The impression I am getting is that it would not be a smart purchase.

Thanks to all

James Taglienti
03-14-2010, 8:45 AM
I don't know... i wouldn't condemn it yet. Nobody here ever said they tried one, most of them just held it in contempt. It might be the most amazing saw, it might stink. I just don't know.

george wilson
03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I just remembered that I have a saw that is for cutting off dowels. It has a handle that swivels,and can be made to place the handle on either end of the blade.

It has set on the TOP SIDE of the saw,away from the surface you are sawing the dowel off of. It does have the teeth made vertical to cut in both directions.

It cuts poorly in either direction,even though it is in like new condition.

I have used it very little,and had forgotten about it.

Lex Boegen
03-14-2010, 1:31 PM
Stanley makes a small panel saw called "the shortcut" which has teeth that let it cut on both strokes. It is a carpenter's tool, useful for cutting 2x4s to length. It leaves a rougher cut than standard panel saws, so it wouldn't be suitable for fine work. Its selling point is that it cuts faster because it cuts in both the down and up strokes. Other than the teeth, which somewhat resemble a japanese saw, it looks like a standard western panel saw.

Eric Brown
03-14-2010, 1:47 PM
Floor saws are an interesting western saw. Starting in the middle, the teeth cut towards the ends. That is the tip of the saw to the middle cuts on the push stroke while from the middle to the handle it cuts on the pull stroke. The saws are also heavily crested, meaning that they have a pronounced curve in them. Don't have one and don't know if they are sharened rip or cross. Perhaps Harry or someone could enlighten us?

Eric