PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Latex Paint?

Doug Hobkirk
03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I would like to spray paint a piece of furniture every few weeks for my volunteer position at a non-profit company (Household Goods Recycling). I had poor results in the past (see below) spraying latex paint but it sure would be nice to be able to spray latex. An article by Highland Woodworking (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/hydrocoteglossresisthaneplusgallon.aspx) made me wonder if it would work if I used Hydrocote's Resisthane Plus to thin the paint.

I am willing to try something new but:

I cannot afford significant new equipment now
I think lacquer would require a spray booth
I can't find oil paint
aerosol cans would be too expensive even if I could find the correct color, etc.

But I suspect I am wrong. I am asking for help so I can take advantage of your collective wisdom.

I do/don't have:

Wagner self-contained unit ($120, small compressor, 10' hose connected to a typical looking spray gun with attached paint container). HVLP 2300, 7.6A, 350W.
Old compressor, currently governed at 100 PSI. 11 gallon can, one cylinder driven by motor via a side belt, very quiet. HP & CFM are unknown.
HF detail sprayer (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92126) (never used) - 4 oz. gravity feed, 3 CFM @ 50 PSI, adj from 20-50 PSI.
No spray booth and no room to build one.
$600 Graco Airless house sprayer. I used it to spray two layers of solid stain on my house, spraying LOTS of paint and then brushing it into the clapboards. I did get some pretty good results when I tried spraying multiple fine layers on the garage door panels. I have not used it for latex paint. The tube that is put into the paint seems inappropriate for a small can of paint, but I imagine I could get it to work with a 1 gallon can.

I have sprayed latex using the Wagner in the past. The results were unacceptable, especially paint running on vertical surfaces. There was also lots of over-spray, but I imagine that's inevitable with such a simple compressor/sprayer. Here's what I did and some possibly relevant facts:

I diluted the latex by 40% using water - that allowed the paint to pass the viscosity cup test, although just barely.
I've spray painted enough using aerosol cans that I have a decent feel for how heavy to apply paint (at least for enamel and lacquer, primarily Krylon brand).
I was able to get the jobs done but only by using lots of layers and minimizing the paint sprayed on vertical surfaces by positioning the table/bench/chair.

You read all the way to here? THANK YOU! I encourage you suggestions and comments.

Phil Phelps
03-13-2010, 1:50 PM
Doug, you have an airless, why not try to spray acrylic enamel with a fine finish tip. You can set up a card board back drop and spraying in bursts, you can do a darn good job. The airless should allow you to spray latex and acrylic paint without thinning, or at least not up to 40%. You know you're breaking down the product by thinning so much. I have a dozen things to do today, but I'll teach you a trick on cleaning the airless that will save you a lot of time. Go to the "real paint store" that sells spray equipment and get that FF tip. It does a marvelous job.

Rob Cunningham
03-13-2010, 2:47 PM
Go with an acrylic enamel, not latex wall paint. I've had good luck with Benjamin Moore WB Satin Impervo and also Muralo Ultra WB. I've heard good reviews on Sherwin Williams Pro Classic too.

Frederick Rowe
03-13-2010, 7:58 PM
Doug - Good advise from Phil and Rob. I don't think you'll ever get satisfactory results from spraying latex paint due to the thinning necessary in an HVLP spray gun. Another alternative since you're considering the WB lacquer, is the EM6500 from Target Coatings. More expensive than acrylic enamel, but will spray straight from the can with all the advantages of WB materials.

Scott Holmes
03-13-2010, 9:28 PM
Another vote to use the airless. Latex is for walls and houses not for furniture.

Chris Padilla
03-15-2010, 2:17 PM
I'll toss in my usual two cents on this subject. I'm no pro and can only go by what I've tried. YMMV due to equipment differences.

I have an Apollo 1000, 4-stage turbine, HVLP siphon gun. Yeah, the turbine sounds like a 747 taking off in my garage (ear protection a must although I swear one day I'm going to stuff the noise-maker in a box!) but I digress. I don't recall the diameter of the tip/needle I use but it is the largest one that came with my kit: it simply has a "5" stamped on it.

I've had EXCELLENT results spraying latex and I buy all my paint at the local hardware store (Glidden, Dutch Boy, etc.) or BORG (Ralph Lauren, Behr, etc.) and so rarely pay more than $25/gallon. The "secret" I discovered is Floetrol. It is NOT a thinner but a paint conditioner. I add it to all my paint. It extends the wet edge (dries slower) and it really seems to help its spraying characteristics because my system sprays it just beautifully.

Now perhaps one of these days I'll buy some of the better stuff at Sherwin Williams and then I'll have a basis of comparison but for now, we are quite happy with the paint we've been using and the magic elixir known as Floetrol.

On a side note, I've sprayed Crystalac waterbourne (bathroom vanity...pure as snow white) and various cuts of shellac and this spray system is just fantastic. Of course, this all came at a 1k price many years ago but I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of it. It is the only gun I've ever used.

Phil Phelps
03-15-2010, 6:34 PM
I'll toss in my usual two cents on this subject. I'm no pro and can only go by what I've tried. YMMV due to equipment differences.
I've had EXCELLENT results spraying latex and I buy all my paint at the local hardware store (Glidden, Dutch Boy, etc.) or BORG (Ralph Lauren, Behr, etc.) and so rarely pay more than $25/gallon. The "secret" I discovered is Floetrol. It is NOT a thinner but a paint conditioner. I add it to all my paint. It extends the wet edge (dries slower) and it really seems to help its spraying characteristics because my system sprays it just beautifully.

Now perhaps one of these days I'll buy some of the better stuff at Sherwin Williams and then I'll have a basis of comparison but for now, we are quite happy with the paint we've been using and the magic elixir known as Floetrol.

Chris, if your happy, I'm happy for 'ya. However, watering down latex just isn't a good way to apply the product. Floetrol wasn't made to be a thinning agent for spraying latex. If you ever brush latex paints and use Floetrol, you'll immediately feel how it works. In todays market, the top of the line name brand paints are pretty good. I have an exception to the Home Centers, however. The average guy may not tell the difference in paints, but one who has been using paints for a living will certainly know.

Chris Padilla
03-15-2010, 7:06 PM
Phil,

Yes, I've both sprayed and brushed my Home Center latex paint with Floetrol added. I now add it to all paint from the get-go regardless if I plan to spray or brush/roll. It really makes a huge difference to this "average guy" weekend painter. :)