PDA

View Full Version : New vac system production

Fred Perreault
03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
So I couldn't wait to make something for my vacuum ststem to grip onto. I went out into the pouring rain this morning (it has done that a lot the last few months) and hacked off a piece of black cherry and a piece of red cedar. Bith of them were green, and I had to wipe my mask off frequently while turning.
Both bottoms are a strong .25" thick. The vacuum held at 23" merc. throughout. Getting the items balanced is not the difficult procedure I imagined. I brought up the tool rest next to the bowls' edge, and released some vacuum and tapped the bowl around until it rotated uniformly....about 1 minute. It is easier, and I feel safer, than fiddling with coles jaw buttons, only to find the bowl will not fit at all because it's a "tweener. Also, no more fingertip and knuckle raps from the rotating buttons. I really like the idea of having the whole vacuum system on a cart. It makes it possible to get the system out of the way of most dust and shavings, and I don't have much wall space near the lathe to plae it on. Of course, to be fair I will also post my first funnel if and when I produce one with the vac.
On another note, I have trouble throwing used sandpaper away. It slays me to just huck the stuff in the trash barrel, so I have been saving it for over a year. I have 3 compacted 5 gallon pails. My wife just shakes her head. Is this normal? (I don't mean the wife..) What do you guys do with used sandpaper?

Steve Mawson
03-13-2010, 1:38 PM
What do you guys do with used sandpaper?
Trash can and that is what I am trying to do with more stuff that I don't need. I do need things organized and more room so I am having a little success:):)

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2010, 2:57 PM
Bowl looks good and sounds like the vacuum is working good. I trash all used sandpaper. IMHO I have found it can do more harm than good saving it and using it again. Yes and I need to clean house as my wife calls me a pack rat. She says if you haven't used it for a couple of years sell it or trash it.:eek::D:cool::rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2010, 8:39 PM
Fred - glad to hear your vacuum system is up and running! Nice bowls - especially the cedar! Love the color!

I have lots of used sanding disks in the shop and will grab them when I go to hand sand an area. More recently, I have been forcing myself to throw out the used disks as using them seems to be just a waste of time.

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 9:18 PM
Fred, glad you are enjoying the vac system! Both bowls look nice, particularly the cedar one.

I throw away used sandpaper regularly. It doesn't do a good job, and wastes my time. I buy from Industrial Supply, and it is about $.12/sheet as I recall, and I tear it into small squares so it goes forever. I use it between the power sander grits to clean up areas. I trash my disks when they quit cutting good.

Baxter Smith
03-13-2010, 11:06 PM
The vac system is on my someday list. Glad yours is working well. Great color in the cedar!