PDA

View Full Version : Source for Mission / Craftsmen style square pegs

Paul Girouard
03-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm looking for some about 1/2" square, with the pyramid style top or a faceted face / top. About 200 of them.

They'd be decorative elements on these faux beams and rafters.

TIA.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Mar12201013.jpg

Michael Weber
03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Need a smiley for WOW!

Mitchell Andrus
03-13-2010, 1:16 PM
What material? Are they to be glued on or set into recesses with a press fit?

Paul Girouard
03-13-2010, 1:27 PM
What material? Are they to be glued on or set into recesses with a press fit?

Some thing dark , a press /glue dab fit into a bored hole.

Paul Atkins
03-13-2010, 2:21 PM
Get a piece of walnut--- You ought to be able to whip those out in a couple of hours. I did a bunch of those once for a huge house that had 4 pegs on each side of the doors, windows, chair rails and baseboards. We drilled the holes, chiseled them square and made the pegs on the spot with the square stock we made ahead of time. They all had to be 1/16" proud when done and some were ten feet off the ground. Not sure they appreciated the extra work.

Chip Lindley
03-13-2010, 3:11 PM
Beautiful Beams BTW!

IF they cannot be found in any catalog, I am sure one of SMC's member/contributors here would take on the task for a decent fee. Making a big batch of 200 should be pretty straightforward.

Too bad the holes are not pre-bored in those beams with a 1/2" square mortiser. That would make insertion quick and painless!

Todd Hoppe
03-13-2010, 3:12 PM
how about this?

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Artisan-Accents-50-pieces-3p9914.htm

I've never used it, but it may suit your needs

travis howe
03-13-2010, 7:16 PM
Paul, that's some awesome work! Sorry, don't have any info on these plugs but wondered if you'd be willing to share more info/detailed pictures of this work? Looking to do something similar in our home.

Thanks!

Travis

Paul Girouard
03-13-2010, 7:53 PM
how about this?

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Artisan-Accents-50-pieces-3p9914.htm

I've never used it, but it may suit your needs

God thats sweet, they might be a bit small for our use , but we might order some up to see how they look up there.

Thanks.

BTW that guy in the video is running for the Senate from this state , Washington , might be the state senate not the fed.

I hope I get to vote for him , I'll; have to check out exactly what he's running for , I've seen a few commercials he's running on TV he may not be in my voting area. But I hope he gets elected he knows what it's like to run a business in this state, he'd be some much needed new blood!

Thanks again.

Paul Girouard
03-13-2010, 8:06 PM
Paul, that's some awesome work! Sorry, don't have any info on these plugs but wondered if you'd be willing to share more info/detailed pictures of this work? Looking to do something similar in our home.

Thanks!

Travis

Sure wonder if I should just do another thread , or you could go here :

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111158

It's a different forum that I'm on, it might answer most of your questions , if not just sign up there and ask away.

Basically we have backing in the lid , I made after much mocking up for size the 1/2" ply sub boxes , glued and stapled together. we screwed thur the sub boxes into that backing , you'll notice access holes on the lower side to allow for this , the cleats on the top side also where laid out to insure we hit that hidden backing. The ply box was made so the 5x5 post just slipped into it. Using a couple of lasers we setup to shoot the posts in plumb and level, attached those via screw thru the ply sub boxes.

The horizontal returns I made a "L" shaped sub - sub ply box to slip into the main sub box screwed those in level and attached the plumb posts to them. Then again using the laser set the arched pieces , after getting the plumb and level cuts done on those . Used one as a pattern so they are all close to the same.

The arch is the same radius as the window head in the back ground , just wider it's net 6" the window head is net 5" .

Piece of cake eh !! :D

Go to that other site theres photos and comments there.

Good luck with your project.