PDA

View Full Version : Help, the vortex is all consuming!!!

Roland Martin
03-13-2010, 11:35 AM
:eek::eek:
I've fallen victim to the VORTEX, what great force there is in SMC, one that I just can't fight off any longer. Is this forum a conspiracy to line the pockets of tool manufacturers? hehehe!
I've been given no choice whatsoever but to call Sean @ Toolnut & order the Jet 1642-2EVS. I guess I can think of it as doing my part to stimulate the economy. Yes, that "must" be the reason I did it. I feel better now, for a minute I thought I was being self-indulgent.
For some reason, I have a feeling that I won't miss my 70's vintage Rockwell 46-111. I'll especially really miss the low speed of 990 rpm. (what the hell is with that?)
Seriously, thanks a lot for all the discussions that have been circulating on lathe recomendations, pros & cons, etc. I feel pretty confident I made the right choice for me.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the new lathe Roland! May it serve you well.

Steve Mawson
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Now that is good to hear. Congrats, you will not believe it is turning on the low end if you are used to 990. Rest assured it is still going round and round.

Ray Bell
03-13-2010, 11:50 AM
"'ve been given no choice whatsoever but to call Sean @ Toolnut & order the Jet 1642-2EVS. I guess I can think of it as doing my part to stimulate the economy".

Very patriotic of you Roland, everybody should do their part:)

Congrats, I know you are excited to receive and start throwing chips with your new lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Congrats on your new lathe Roland! You are going to love it! Make sure to post photos once it arrives!

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Congrats, Roland!!! I think I have lathe envy!!!:mad::D

While I am sure there are many features of the Jet 1642 you will like, the low speed and electronic variable speed will be HUGE improvements for you.

Make sure you do a gloat thread when it comes in!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2010, 3:00 PM
Congrats Roland. You are going to be asking yourself why you waited so long when you can turn or sand at 100 rpm and with the turn of a knob be at a high turning speed. Be sure to post the new machine.

David E Keller
03-13-2010, 9:15 PM
Good for you... looking forward to seeing it set up and covered in curls.

Bill Bolen
03-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Roland. Beware, these guys will make short work of a 401K!...Bill...

Gary Chester
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Woo Hoo!!!:D

You are going to be a happy man!!!:D

Rich Boehlke
03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
:eek::eek:
I've fallen victim to the VORTEX, what great force there is in SMC, one that I just can't fight off any longer. Is this forum a conspiracy to line the pockets of tool manufacturers? hehehe!
I've been given no choice whatsoever but to call Sean @ Toolnut & order the Jet 1642-2EVS. I guess I can think of it as doing my part to stimulate the economy. Yes, that "must" be the reason I did it. I feel better now, for a minute I thought I was being self-indulgent.
For some reason, I have a feeling that I won't miss my 70's vintage Rockwell 46-111. I'll especially really miss the low speed of 990 rpm. (what the hell is with that?)
Seriously, thanks a lot for all the discussions that have been circulating on lathe recomendations, pros & cons, etc. I feel pretty confident I made the right choice for me.

Abandon hope all ye who enter there!!

Enjoy your new lathe!

Jim Slovik
03-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Congrats Roland. There is nothing like the feeling that a new quality tool gives a man. Excellent choice.
Jim

Baxter Smith
03-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Nice lathe! Enjoy!

Roland Martin
03-14-2010, 9:52 AM
Thanks to all of you, I am a really exited man right now, feeling like a kid in a candy store (until the CC bill comes in)

Jeff Luedloff
03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. I think your going to love it. have fun

bob svoboda
03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks to all of you, I am a really exited man right now, feeling like a kid in a candy store (until the CC bill comes in)
Having had a recent similar experience (of the mustard kind) I believe you will love the features on your new lathe and will pay the CC bill with a smile on your face.:D