PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video about a talented woodworker

Quinn Kleerekoper
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.teachers.tv/video/24677
To say Gary Tuddenham has a bright future ahead is a understatement.

Mike Zilis
03-13-2010, 1:37 PM
That was a great introduction to Gary's skills. Thanks for posting that link.

-Mike

Joe Leigh
03-13-2010, 2:12 PM
The "Best Young Cabinet Maker In The World" uses biscuits??

Zikes!!

Don Morris
03-13-2010, 4:22 PM
He was given the plans. Wonder what his own plans would be?

Jim Rimmer
03-13-2010, 9:38 PM
Great video. Thanks for posting.

johnny means
03-13-2010, 9:56 PM
a half of a tenth of a mil makes my eyes hurt.

george wilson
03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
He did say he used a caliper. Half a tenth of a m.m. is a bit less than .002".

Chris Parks
03-13-2010, 11:04 PM
The "Best Young Cabinet Maker In The World" uses biscuits??

Zikes!!

Why frown on modern methods, if biscuits had been invented 200 years ago they would be accepted as traditional.

Kevin Womer
03-14-2010, 9:12 AM
It is nice to see an interest in woodworking with younger people, I hope there is a rebound in the schools in the U.S. in this area of study. Without it, there will not be many around who plan to go into the industrial arts to make a living.

David Cramer
03-14-2010, 9:27 AM
First of all Quinn, thank you for posting this. Wow, how motivational is that?

As far as biscuits, I respectfully respond by saying that there is nothing wrong with using them. When I make a cabinet, I use the method of biscuiting and clamping the face frame to the carcass of the cabinet. I did not get this from Norm (although I admire the heck out of him). I got it from Marc Adams close to 10 years ago or longer. When he was at one of the shows, I asked him where he got it from and I recall him telling me it was from an older fella who worked in his shop.

The first cabinet I built was a vanity. I challenge the strongest person on this site to try and pull that face from off the cabinet.....it ain't gonna happen! I use biscuits A LOT and have never had a call back, not once.

I agree with Chris Park's comment as well.

Biscuits don't warrant the criticism that they often get. You can use dovetails or a full length spline (aka a long skinny biscuit:)), it's not gonna hold any better for it's purpose. The dovetails may look prettier and hold better during a test with a machine pulling them apart, but that's not the point.

In normal everyday conditions under which the cabinet is being used (it's just sitting there and not fighting with other cabinets:D) biscuits work just as well.

Well done to the young man who won the contest. Again, that was motivational and inspiring to see. Thanks Quinn for posting.

David

Joe Leigh
03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Why frown on modern methods, if biscuits had been invented 200 years ago they would be accepted as traditional.

Agreed. It was sarcasm. Mock horror.
Ever read any threads here on biscuits? Or Festool Domino threads? Which are nothing more than a glorified biscuit.

Chris Parks
03-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Agreed. It was sarcasm. Mock horror.
Ever read any threads here on biscuits? Or Festool Domino threads? Which are nothing more than a glorified biscuit.

Your definition of sarcasm must differ from mine. Elitism would be more like it.

Matthew Hills
03-14-2010, 12:21 PM
No discussion of the toothbrush + toilet paper glue cleanup? How does this compare to the ol' wet rag, or post-set scraping?

It was interesting how the video showed him spending a lot of time checking and tweaking. I feel that my projects go downhill fast if I start tweaking them at the end.

Matt

Peter Quinn
03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I guess I'm feeling Joe explained his perspective, I get that and happen to agree and I find it humorous. Best young cabinet maker in the world, biscuits are good enough for him, but are they good enough for me? Either way, Joe deserves no abuse.

I did note HOW he was using them. Seemed to be to hold some mitered edging on a plywood top. He was not holding drawers or door frames together with them, he was not building his pedestal base with them, nor was he making a leg to apron connection, he was using them to his advantage. Seems the Europeans are a bit more comfortable combining plywood and fine cabinetry generally in the same sentence, maybe because they cut their forests bare two hundred years ago? Maybe its pragmatism? I honestly don't know.

Its good to see that there are still classical apprenticeship programs developing highly skilled cabinet makers in the world. As a certified wood butcher and generally ambitious but self admitted hack, I must admit I am envious of this young mans abilities. Thanks for posting that link.

Tony Bilello
03-14-2010, 3:29 PM
I hope his artistic ability ranks up there with his skill level.
Unfortunately, there is no great need nor highly paid jobs for a skilled craftsman. The real fame and fortune is in designing. If you can design and construct - now you have it made. We as woodworkers think of guys like Gustav Stickley, James Krenov, Sam Maloof and George Nakashima as great woodworkers, when in fact they are recognized worldwide as furniture designers and artists.