PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive- small laser

Dave Bonde
03-13-2010, 9:02 AM
Hello I teach Industrial Technology at a Middle School and have been trying to buy a small laser for several years (Thought I had one once with fundraiser money but didn't work out :( that is another story. With the budget forecast in the future it does not look promising but I am not going to give up. My main reason for wanting to add a laser is to expose the kids to that kind of technology, I would add a unit of instruction that would show students how and why lasers are used in our world today ending with them getting a chance to use a laser to either engrave a pen they make or add a small graphic to a desk organizer (engraving would be on 2"x3" clear plastic) So my question your you guys is, will the really cheap lasers like I see on ebay work for this application? They run about $1000 and my gut tells me "no stay away". I would be using it on a very low volume basis about 150 small engravings a year. I would love to have a larger more versatile system but in reality that is not an option. Thanks for your input Dave

Rodne Gold
03-13-2010, 9:29 AM
It will work fine for your application..maybe better than mainstream cos the students can actually see the "tube" and so on.

James Jaragosky
03-13-2010, 9:36 AM
Dave, The short answer to your question is yes they will work. However, the overall answer is more complicated then that.
This question is asked every few weeks.
I really want to get a high quality laser but my budget will only support a cheap Chinese laser. “Will the Chinese laser work for my application”?
The Chinese lasers vary greatly in quality from one another even though they look similar. They come with very little support and the software that runs them is very rudimentary.
I have owned two Chinese lasers; both had minor issues at setup. I am very happy with my purchases and would get another if the need should arise.
Will the laser work as a teaching tool? Yes, I believe that it will. It operates using the same principals as a more expensive machine.
I would not purchase one unless you have the skills to troubleshoot and repair mechanical equipment. Lasers in any price range are not plug and play.
I hope that this helps you make a more informed decision.

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2010, 9:55 AM
Dave,

Do some searching on here for Rabbit lasers. That will give you some idea of the low costs Chinese types. James Jaragosky is the man for the low cost lasers.

As Rodney says, you can see the tube and it is cool with the lights dimmed. Here's one of mine from about 8 years back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=98950&d=1224434091

Sorry I can't show the actual pic but because I uploaded this picture here back in October 2008 and this stupid system will not let me upload it to this thread. I have yet to find a way to directly link to it so that it displays as a thumbnail again. :rolleyes:

David Fairfield
03-13-2010, 10:05 AM
This is one of the few times where I think a Chinese model will fit the bill. You won't be doing large volumes under time pressure, or precision work, when a high quality machine is your only option.

But I'd still be cautious and shop around for the most reliable machine / customer support you can. I'd hate to be the guy who blew kids money on a fiasco!

Instead of just personal things, think about tags that can be put to real use around the school. Door numbers, circuit breaker panels, safety warnings, property tags. Besides the "real world" aspect of the lesson, there is a lot of pride in seeing one's labors put to official use. Trinkets end up in desk drawers and forgotten.

Dave

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I would think most manufacturers would have a school program to help schools get lasers for less $$.
This way the students actually are learning on current, updated equipment and software.

Viktor Voroncov
03-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I vote for chinese laser with glass tube - it will be realistic and very impressive teaching! But do not forget about safety :)
I have many year experience with lasers but when I see this light inside tube - no words, just emotions :)

Ed Maloney
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I would think most manufacturers would have a school program to help schools get lasers for less $$.
This way the students actually are learning on current, updated equipment and software.

That's a good idea. Maybe one of the small Zings from Epilog would be good. Maybe contact Epilog and tell them your story.

Peck - Could supply a good contact for Paul?

Ed

Dave Bonde
03-13-2010, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the information guys - good stuff to think about. Dave

Dan Hintz
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Be aware... most of the stuff you'll be lasering (especially plastic) gives off nasty fumes. Make sure you're able to scrub these fumes of noxious chemicals and exhaust it to the outside world appropriately. You'll find yourself out of a job and in a courtroom faster than you can say "sick child" if a parent finds out you're filling their lungs will the stuff lasers burn off.

Martin Boekers
03-14-2010, 4:18 PM
An alternative method may be to check with local engraving shops and see if they would be interested in having a few lessons on down time.

One other thing if you do get one for the school, don't think for an instant
that your kids are going to want to stop with a small piece of acrylic!;)

Once they get a taste of it they will want to engrave everything, which brings up another point, somethings are hazardous to engrave so do your research ahead of time.

One more thought, maybe if you planned the laser around making "fundraising items" that you can sell to the student body to actually pay for the laser, combine the laser with a business class.

Just a thought.

Marty

Jeanette Brewer
03-15-2010, 4:34 PM
Epilog Distributor - Iowa:

Prism Sales
Raymore, MO 64083
816-331-1206 office

Email: terryviles at prismkc dot com

Kellie Reinhart
03-17-2010, 3:25 PM
Good afternoon Dave,

Have you checked to see if there are any funds available through your state department of education? Look in to STEM Grants (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), if you haven't already. It's worth a try! :)

Kellie Reinhart
Airway Laser Systems
Epilog - Ohio