PDA

View Full Version : old planes?

Mike Evertsen
11-05-2004, 1:22 AM
I had a call today from a woman wanting me to look at the planes she has. They are from her grandfathers collection. She said some are wood some are metal. I going Saturday morning to look at them I'm going to take pictures. I don't have any use for them just going to help her out if I can.

I know some about planes but not much what should I be looking for?

Richard Gillespie
11-05-2004, 8:28 AM
I'm not an expert, just another self taught user. I'd be a little careful in what I'd say to the lady in that there is some family attachment to the planes.

What I'd look for is over all condition of the planes. With the metal planes, are there cracks in the body or soles? Is there pitting on the body or back of the irons. What is the condition of the totes and knobs? Are they cracked or heavy dinged? Light rust or staining of the metal isn't a real problem to clean. Heavy rusting and pitting is another question. On the market, of the more common planes, Stanley, Sargent and Miller Falls are considered more desirable.

I am not as knowledgeable on wood planes as metal. I'd look at the condition of totes, knobs and blades. Minor checking on the wood is okay but cracks in the body are another matter. If the plane is a smoother, is the sole flat and the mouth tight? Are all the blades and wedges present?

These items are given by a user, a collector may not agree with everything I say. I hope others will chime in and add anything I've missed or elaborate on items I've not covered properly.