PDA

View Full Version : Best Large Shoulder Plane

Jim Paulson
03-13-2010, 7:15 AM
Following Brian's posts on best smoothers, jack, joiner planes, what would be your best large shoulder plane? I need to get one for an upcoming fancy chairmaking class and I would like to know your thoughts.

Jim

Mike Henderson
03-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Question, if you don't mind. Why a large shoulder plane? Few tenons have shoulders that are really large. And for trimming a tenon, itself, (not the shoulder) a wide rabbet plane works well (example: the LN 60 1/2R), or just a wide chisel.

I have the LV medium shoulder plane and don't find I ever need something larger.

I had a big Record shoulder plane one time but found it too big to handle easily and sold it. That's when I bought the LV.

Mike

Jim Paulson
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I have the LV medium shoulder plane and don't find I ever need something larger.

Heard you Mike and a good comment too. I will actually need a couple sizes of adjustable shoulder planes so I'll add your recommendation of LV medium shoulder plane to the list of best medium to large shoulder planes. Unfortunately, the medium sized one that I have now, a Stanley 92, doesn't work well for me. The LV medium shoulder plane is probably far superior in that size range especially for heft and overall quality. Hopefully, I hear more about that. For now I want to be open to either the medium or the large shoulder plane.

Regards,
Jim

Russ Massery
03-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Another nod for the LV medium shoulder plane.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2010, 1:20 PM
Unfortunately, the medium sized one that I have now, a Stanley 92, doesn't work well for me. The LV medium shoulder plane is probably far superior in that size range especially for heft and overall quality. Hopefully, I hear more about that. For now I want to be open to either the medium or the large shoulder plane.

Regards,
Jim

Jim,

You do not mention why the 92 does not work well, the only advice for me to offer is this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119301

If you have a problem that is not addressed in the thread, let me know and I will try to add more to the thread. Be sure to read to the end as Steve Swantee added a bit of information that may be the same problem as your plane has.

As far as which shoulder plane to suggest, my only recommendation is to give the planes a hands on test before purchasing. The Stanley shoulder planes are not very ergonomic.

I haven not had an opportunity to handle the LV planes. They do look to have been developed to fit the user's hands.

jim

Brian Kent
03-13-2010, 1:25 PM
I am not qualified for an opinion on this one yet, but I do have some info on the lower side of the scale. Early on I had two attempts at a cheap shoulder or rabbet plane.

First failure - Anant Bullnose Rabbet plane. I have ground off about a pound of steel trying to get this little thing to work. It can now be used, but without singing, dancing or joy. Conclusion - not worth the money or time, but I won't throw it away until I have something better.

Second Failure - Rosewood 1" Rabbet plane. Could never get it to work and finally traded it for a Stanley #3 plane body, with a warning that it never worked right.

Then my sister got me an Ebony Mujingfang Rabbet Plane for $27. It actually works. I still need a top quality shoulder plane (I will get the LV Medium Shoulder Plane because of reviews and trying it at woodworking shows) but this is usable for now.

So I have no "My Best Shoulder Plane", just a "Your Pretty Decent Shoulder Plane for Now".

Maurice Ungaro
03-13-2010, 1:40 PM
Just acquired a low mileage LV Medium Shoulder Plane. A VERY nicely made product that works wonderfully.

Jim Paulson
03-13-2010, 2:03 PM
So far this looks like a LV crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that. :) But heh what about a LN medium shoulder plane? or can someone speak to even the less adjustable styles, i.e. HNT Gordon, or something else?

Thanks Jim on that suggestion about the previous threads on the 92. I've found it to hard on my hands to say the least. I personallly favor a bigger plane, but tweating it well maybe that would help too. I bought it new years ago and have kept it sharp, but who knows.

The NWA showcase is Palm Sunday weekend in Saratoga Springs, I'd love to see the LV and LN shoulder planes and compare them. Tough weekend to get there for me anyway.

Jim

Tri Hoang
03-13-2010, 3:36 PM
The LV medium & large shoulder planes are my top choice. They are well made and have good ergonomics.

David Keller NC
03-13-2010, 3:58 PM
So far this looks like a LV crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that. :) But heh what about a LN medium shoulder plane? or can someone speak to even the less adjustable styles, i.e. HNT Gordon, or something else?

I have (and use) all 4 of the L-N shoulder planes. I've tried the LV medium shoulder but passed it up, primarily because I find them ugly. The L-N works extremely well - it's a souped-up copy of the clifton, and before that, the Preston design. For large-scale work, I prefer a #7 Norris with a 1-1/2 sole, but that's a considerably more expensive plane than any of the L-N or LV offerings.

Mark Buchanan
03-13-2010, 4:21 PM
I prefer the Lie Nielson over the Lee Valley because of the ability to skew the blade to take an even cut. With the Lee Valley I think the set screws would be a PIA unless the blade is 100% square, and that does not happen often with my sharpening skills. I have however not used a LV so correct me if I am mistaken.

Mark

Mike Henderson
03-13-2010, 4:29 PM
I prefer the Lie Nielson over the Lee Valley because of the ability to skew the blade to take an even cut. With the Lee Valley I think the set screws would be a PIA unless the blade is 100% square, and that does not happen often with my sharpening skills. I have however not used a LV so correct me if I am mistaken.

Mark
You can laterally adjust the blade on the LV a small amount (as is true on any shoulder plane). The set screws keep the blade adjusted side to side in the mouth. Of course, if you don't like the set screws, you can back them out and not use them.

I don't have a lot of problem sharpening a shoulder plane blade square, but I do use a jig.

Mike

Ross Canant
03-13-2010, 5:34 PM
Record 072 for me. Nice mass, good blade, accurately ground, easy to adjust. I also like my 042 for smaller work.

James Scheffler
03-13-2010, 6:35 PM
Then my sister got me an Ebony Mujingfang Rabbet Plane for $27. It actually works. I still need a top quality shoulder plane (I will get the LV Medium Shoulder Plane because of reviews and trying it at woodworking shows) but this is usable for now.

Brian,

Is this the one you have? The description doesn't say it's a Mujingfang, but it's about the same price: http://www.woodline.com/p-2397-ebony-rabbeting-plane.aspx

This is kind of pretty - anyone tried it? http://www.woodline.com/p-2396-curved-rabbet-plane.aspx Looks like a lower angle, so maybe more appropriate to use as a shoulder plane than the first one.

Thanks,
Jim

Brian Kent
03-13-2010, 7:30 PM
Yes, thats the one. I tried both of them at the Woodline booth at a show, and liked them both. It was random which to buy first. I would not mind having both.

Rick Erickson
03-13-2010, 7:41 PM
My vote is for the LN. I've tried both the LV and the LN large shoulder planes and chose the LN because it just felt better in my hands (and the LV planes IMO are just plain ugly :eek:). I own a rabbet block plane but find myself using my large shoulder plane more than I do the block plane now that I have it.

James Taglienti
03-13-2010, 9:24 PM
I don't even own a plane that was actually created for tenon shoulders. I just use one of my small rabbet planes, they seem to work prety well, I suppose my bevel up Mathieson 3/4" rabbet plane would be my "shoulder" plane of choice.

Charles R. Smith
03-13-2010, 9:33 PM
A vote for the LV large. I have both their medium and large, and use them both, but for different purposes. If I had to have only one, I might opt for the large; I have the small LV shoulder which can perform all the smaller tasks of the LV medium.

Jay Davidson
03-14-2010, 12:25 AM
the medium LV shoulder plane (only 11/16 wide so you might call it small) fits your hand perfectly; very easy to use one-handed. it doesn't matter if i have have run it twice to handle a larger tenon. tip: either take the iron-positioning screws out of the LV or set the iron up first and then lightly run the screws back in - they don't really help much when you get the iron set right and they can skew the iron which has to be in almost perfect alignment with the sole. am always happy when i find a reason to use it...

the medium and large L-N are great shoulder planes, but are a bit more difficult to handle.

another tip for sharpening: get a small mechanics square and learn to set it properly across the irons bevel (if it's skewed across the bevel you won't get a good reading) and down the side of the iron - hold it up to a bright light and look for any light seeping in, keep going until it is square and flat to more than 1/256th. feeler gauges help you understand how much light comes through and how far off you are. when using it, listen for the plane to sing..when they are well tuned and sharp, the plane makes a wonderful sound.

Brian Kent
03-14-2010, 1:31 AM
Sure would like to have one of those ugly planes. Mmmmmmmm. Lee Valley. Beautiful shoulders.

Eric Brown
03-14-2010, 3:31 AM
I have and like the Veritas medium. It feels comfortable in my small hands.
Afterwards I saw the Bridge City Tools and wanted it too. So far I have resisted. But it looks really good. (Darn slope!)

If L-V ever makes the medium as a Premium style, I'm in trouble.

I never liked the feel of the Preston L-N type planes as they are awkward for me to hold.

Eric

Jim Paulson
03-14-2010, 1:48 PM
Here is what I've got so far and please let me know if I need to make adjustments here.

LV Medium Shoulder Plane
LN Medium Shoulder Plane
LV Large Shoulder Plane
LN Large Shoulder Plane
#7 Norris with 1 1/2" wide sole
Record 072
Stanley 92 Shoulder Plane
Mathieson 3/4" wide Rabbet Plane
Ebony Mujingfang
Anant Bullnose Rabbet Plane

*equally split on LV and LN on the large shoulder plane

Thanks,
Jim

PADDY HEALEY
03-14-2010, 6:30 PM
Jim, I have used the large LV since it came out and I like it enough to want a LV medium sometime this year, then I will sell my Stanley #92.
It just feels good in the hand when horizontal or vertical. I had used some Preston/LN types and found them not plesant to hold.
All the best, Paddy

Brian Kent
03-15-2010, 2:31 AM
My Anant should be on a worst list, not a best one. Just after much work it approached adequacy.

Jim R Edwards
03-15-2010, 8:09 AM
I have an Ohio Tool molding plane with a 1 1/4 skewed blade that I use for a shoulder plane. I also use a LN 60 1/2R and a Stanley 10 1/2. I havent encountered a situation where I would need a shoulder plane. If I were buying a shoulder plane it would be a Lee Valley.

george wilson
03-15-2010, 8:11 AM
This isn't going to help much,but I like my brass shoulder plane(might be in the Neander FAQ section) the best. I like its mass,and the blade I made for it.

Other than that,I have all the sizes of the LN shoulder planes. I think they are very attractive old designs. The LV shoulders are probably the most ergonmic,but I just don't care for their looks.

I realize that looks are not necessarily the greatest criteria for judging tools,but being a designer,I feel like using tools that have the designs I like. Regardless of ergonomics,the LN's are very fine planes.

Maurice Ungaro
03-15-2010, 9:32 AM
This isn't going to help much,but I like my brass shoulder plane(might be in the Neander FAQ section) the best. I like its mass,and the blade I made for it.

Other than that,I have all the sizes of the LN shoulder planes. I think they are very attractive old designs. The LV shoulders are probably the most ergonmic,but I just don't care for their looks.

I realize that looks are not necessarily the greatest criteria for judging tools,but being a designer,I feel like using tools that have the designs I like. Regardless of ergonomics,the LN's are very fine planes.

George, I have to agree with you that the aesthetics of the LN is more flowing and classic, while the ergonomics of the LV is better. Both are great choices as far as functionality. For me, the one that takes the prize for design is the Bridge City Tool number - it wins the Buck Rogers Award for sure.

I'd love to see a pic of your brass shoulder plane!

mike holden
03-15-2010, 9:40 AM
Jim,
I have a half inch wide HNT Gordon. I see no reason to replace or supplement it with a plane of similar size. I do have a larger LV and like it as well.
As re: adjusting the Gordon, it simply is not an issue - follow the instructions included and it works well. (btw, reading the instructions you would not think the plane would cut anything, but it does!) (okay, that is cryptic - instructions have you placing the plane on a flat wood surface, with the wedge out. let the blade rest on the surface, and insert wedge, tap wedge lightly - done. Just reading it, it would seem the blade would not extend below the sole to cut anything - but it does!)
bottom line: I would buy the Gordon again.
Mike

Tony Zaffuto
03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a LN large, a LV medium and a Preston small. I use the LN large shoulder plane whenever it's size permits. The LV is used very little and if the LN doesn't work, I use the Preston.

Brian Kent
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
This thread has opened me up to the possibility of LN's. I'll check out LV and LN before buying, but I had read recommendations and reviews for the LV over LN for years.

Mike Henderson
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
This thread has opened me up to the possibility of LN's. I'll check out LV and LN before buying, but I had read recommendations and reviews for the LV over LN for years.
If at all possible, Brian, try one of the LN style shoulder planes before you buy. I find them awkward to to hold compared to the LV shoulder planes. The LV shoulder plane just fits into your hand and feels like an extension of your hand. I never could find a comfortable way to hold the LN style of shoulder plane.

I'm sure the LN plane is of excellent quality - just check if it fits your hand.

Mike

paul cottingham
03-15-2010, 12:47 PM
I have big, awkward hands. The LV fits my hand well, and is very comfortable to use.

Jim Paulson
03-15-2010, 6:02 PM
George,

I checked you plane in the FAQ and it looks quite beautiful. I take it has a comparable width to the LV or LN medium shoulder plane then? If it does fit a medium size, then I think your saying the brass plane is your best, right?

I want to make one eventually. Perhaps I'll opt to make one with dovetailed sides.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Paulson
03-15-2010, 6:09 PM
Maurice,

I looked the Bridge City shoulder planes and they look awesome. What I'm wondering is if someone can argue that either the CT-14 1 1/8" Foxtail Shoulder plane or the Hp-7 Shoulder plane with a 0.738" wide iron is their best plane?
At $599.00 to 805.00 they seem out of range for this guy.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Paulson
03-15-2010, 6:13 PM
Actually, Brian I am starting to think about making one like George Wilson's as featured on the Neander FAQ section. Brass sides and with an infill sounds pretty cool, but time might be limited between now and when I take my class.

Personally, I learn toward the traditional designs like LN, but I'm hoping to try them out somewhere.