PDA

View Full Version : Olive tangle - need your help

Norm Zax
03-13-2010, 3:09 AM
I have a weakness for trying to salvage problematic pieces of wood. This was an odd shaped olive trunk. After starting to turn, the hole was exposed and I decided to keep on going. Then parts of the rim turned out rotten and finally worm activity identified itself. Brushed the whole piece in diluted glue several times. As a result some tunnels solidified (theyre like tough MDF now) and others crumbled and left a clean tunnel. My questions for you gents:
* how to treat the tunnels (fill all and with what or power drill the full ones)
* the black epoxy which looks so nice on cracks came out horrid here, especially on the rim. How to continue?
Thanks for all opinions....
Norm

Eric Kosanovich
03-13-2010, 6:02 AM
Hi Norm,
Well most guys here from my posts would most likely say it's time for the burn box. Even i would say that on this one, however if you must!!

!*DO NOT STAND IN THE PATH OF ANY PARTS THAT MAY COME OFF THE LATHE, STAND TO THE SIDE*!

1) Turn it vary slowly, as slow as you can. Under 200 RPM if it is possible.
2) Use Vary Vary Vary sharp tools.
3) Work slowly take small bites
4) Stop the lathe and check the condition of the bowl offten.

Then what i would do is cut the outside down and remove the worm holes.
also i like the natural holes so i dont fill them. i dont know much outside of this. Hope it helps Good luck.

Eric

Brent Grooms
03-13-2010, 6:17 AM
Norm, I can see why you are trying to salvage this piece... it will be beautiful!

Personally, I would try to turn off as much of the black epoxy as possible. Unfortunately, it looks as though you would loose the bit of bark on the rim (a really cool point). After dealing with the epoxy, I would break out the picks and remove the frass from the bug tunnels. I think it would be awesome!

Keep us posted on how this turns out!

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 6:34 AM
Don't have much advice on your question, as I do not have that much experience with challenging wood, but it does appear that some of that bark made its way to your tenon. Be careful, as the tenon could easily break down on you.

As Eric said, stay clear on the swing line!

Jeff Nicol
03-13-2010, 8:03 AM
I too have a weak spot for turning and trying to rescue wood that should be in the fire! I have done things such as putting inlays or colored epoxy, small plugs in contrasting woods in the worm holse. Using inlace to add a pop of color is a great thing too. You just have to decide how much time you want to spend on it and if you want all the voids and imperfections to be filled or open. Sometimes I set these type turnings on the shelf until the right solution strikes me. I will agree it has some beautiful potential.

Good luck and keep the faith,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
03-13-2010, 8:17 AM
Along with the other great suggestions, it looks like you could use your tailstock to help support a potentially weak tenon. But if its held together this far long... Looks like it could become a gallery piece or pieces of scrap. Good luck with it!

Frank Van Atta
03-13-2010, 9:26 AM
I enjoy rescuing pieces, but I think I'd pitch this one in the fireplace.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Norm if it were me I would take a couple of finishing cuts on the inside, turn the rim down slightly to get rid of some of the epoxy, leave the worm holes as is, sand and finish. I rarely fill worm holes because it just adds to the character of the bowl. That is some pretty wood and wouldn't mess with the outside to leave as much bark inclusion as I could. If you want to fill the worm holes I would just take some epoxy with sanding dust from the bowl. Mix and fill.

David E Keller
03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I like the defects, and this piece has got a lot of them. I'd consider using a burr and getting all of the epoxy off of the piece.

Wally Dickerman
03-13-2010, 6:03 PM
You've probably heard the saying..."Life is too short to turn crappy wood". I believe in that. Unless it's something really special.

Rather than black epoxy I'd have used either coffee grounds, which have a more natural look, or epoxy and turquoise. Here in Arizona, where turquoise grows on trees (well not quite), turquoise sells very well. A piece of mesquite with turquoise in it is gone.

When making repairs on defects, if won't look natural then accentuate it. If a patch looks like a patch it detracts from the piece. I think that if you can cut away the nasty looking black and start over, do it.

Wally

John Tomasello jr
03-13-2010, 7:33 PM
To me the defects add to the beauty of the wood. I only make repairs on splits. Ca on small stuff & epoxy with coffee grounds on larger.

Norm Zax
03-14-2010, 1:25 AM
thx all! will update...

alex carey
03-14-2010, 3:16 AM
ditch, too much work.