PDA

View Full Version : No Recession in Turning

Steve Mawson
03-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I am truly amazed at all the great pieces that have been produced in the last several months. Folks have been finding some great wood and getting the most out of every piece. Perhaps the lathe sales have helped speed this along as many turners have new equipment. But I for one would like to thank all of you that have been posting new pieces. I have enjoyed them all and want to say thank you. It has been great fun and I have been able to keep up looking at all the posts. When planting season hits that will change but I will get through that as well. GREAT JOB EVERYONE.:D:);)

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 6:47 AM
Steve, interesting play on words in the title.

I actually think the recession has spawned a renewed interest in hobbies. Folks are staying home more, and partaking in activities they "perceive" to be less expensive. Little did I know!!:eek: I would hate to think of how much I have "helped" the economy in the past few months!:D

Baxter Smith
03-13-2010, 8:23 AM
I am one of the new ones, but have been somewhat amazed by the number of others that have appeared in the little time I have been paying attention to this forum. I greatly enjoy seeing the pictures as well as reading all the questions and answers that are writtten.

Allen Neighbors
03-13-2010, 8:58 AM
Steve, you are so right!! And I thank you for putting it into words for me. This is a great forum, and the people on here have been posting some great work.

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Steve I have to agree with you. John I think you are right about the hobby growing as people are staying home more and are not on the road as much. I know my neighbor is now turning. He is retired and said they can't afford to travel as much as they used to. So he said he needed something to do. He turned on my lathe on morning, went home that afternoon and bought a Jet 1220.

I also would like to say a word of thanks to everyone for your help, your posts and your friendship. This is a great community of people.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I have told this to John.....and to others that I have helped shove into the Vortex.

I have never met a group of friendlier, more generous people than turners. I don't know what it is. I haven't been able to figure it.

My first lathe.....tools.....wood....all given to me by this bunch here. Some no longer participate here.....some do....but turners....extemely generous.....always willing to share techniques....wood.....stories.....

No strings attached.....just a kind generosity.

Truly a wonderous bunch!

Thank you my friends!