PDA

View Full Version : Bulged Bandsaw Blades - opinions

michael case
03-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I would appreciate opinions on BS blades. It seems that ALL 1/2" or 3/4" blades I get have a very pronounced bend at the weld. I have purchased Olsons and Timberwolves and both brands have this problem. If I set the thrust bearing to the proper distance on the main body of the blade the distinct bulge at the weld whacks the bearing. I now set the bearing back from the weld and allow a lot more space on the rest of the blade than is commonly reccommended. Is this a common problem? Should I even consider this a defect? Are there blades that don't suffer form bulging at the weld?

Thanks in advance for your input

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I'll check my 3/4" Olsen bi-metal blade and 1/2" Olsen bi-metal blade in the morning. I don't remember any bulge.

bob hertle
03-13-2010, 6:13 AM
My Olsons are darn near perfect, but I'll not buy any more Timberwolf blades for this very reason. I got one good weld out of four blades. As far as setting the backup, roll your blade around so that the weld is opposite the guides--that's going to be the straightest part of the blade. You've got to do this after tensioning and tracking.

Bob

Brent Grooms
03-13-2010, 6:31 AM
I have gotten a bad welded blade from Timberwolf as well but a call to them describing what was going on had another on its way to me that afternoon. Everyone can have a bad product slip thru... its how they handle it that counts.

Jeff Willard
03-13-2010, 8:01 AM
I now set the bearing back from the weld and allow a lot more space on the rest of the blade than is commonly reccommended. Is this a common problem? Should I even consider this a defect? Are there blades that don't suffer form bulging at the weld?

By setting the saw up in such a manner, you are compromising the precision it is capable of. It's a defect IMO.

Since my purchase of a new saw this past summer, I have been running Lenox bands almost exclusively. From the TriMaster to the least expensive carbon bands, I have not experienced this problem. I also use a bandsaw professionally (meat industry) and have rarely seen this problem there. When I do, it usually happens in multiples, and the whole batch is returned.

FWIW, Lenox bands are no more expensive than any other comparable bands.

Phil Phelps
03-13-2010, 8:30 AM
File it off.

dan petroski
03-13-2010, 8:45 AM
use your dremmel tool and gring it off. i buy all my blade in 100 ft lengths and make up what i need grinding each joint

bob hertle
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
You can't file off, or grind off a misaligned (in the plane of the blade) weld. This type of error occurs for one of two reasons: poorly maintained welder whose jaws are dirty, banged up, or otherwise misaligned. Or, careless insertion of the band stock into the welder. This is not a "brand" phenomenon, it is a supplier phenomenon. I've gotten Lenox blades from a supplier who shall remain nameless, that were as bad as the poorly aligned Timberwolf blades. I'm really persnickety about blade welds, and no supplier is perfect 100% of the time. Best and most consistent welds used to come from DoAll.

Bob

michael case
03-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm definitely going to explore new avenues for buying my BS blades.

Thanks to everybody!

Paul Atkins
03-13-2010, 2:27 PM
Blades that are not straight are not worth fussing with. I just cut them and silver braze them up right. You should not be able to tell where the weld is when the saw is running, in my opinion.

Phil Phelps
03-13-2010, 5:36 PM
You can't file off, or grind off a misaligned (in the plane of the blade) weld. This type of error occurs for one of two reasons: poorly maintained welder whose jaws are dirty, banged up, or otherwise misaligned. Or, careless insertion of the band stock into the welder. This is not a "brand" phenomenon, it is a supplier phenomenon. I've gotten Lenox blades from a supplier who shall remain nameless, that were as bad as the poorly aligned Timberwolf blades. I'm really persnickety about blade welds, and no supplier is perfect 100% of the time. Best and most consistent welds used to come from DoAll.

Bob
True enough. I've seen a few thousand blades since '67. If it's misaligned it needs to be cut and rewelded. I've had to dress hundreds of blades and have been through dozens of sources.