PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3-31 Accessories

Tom W Armstrong
03-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, the Felder 15% spring sale starts next week and I need to get the final order details submitted by then to get the discounts. It seems the most important add on is the digital gauge and the required aluminum handwheel that it fits in.

My question is whether to get the English or Metric display. For some reason the English gauge is $123.09 and the metric one is $72.69. Should I just go for metric as the rest of the machine is in metric?

Also, unless anyway has a strong opinion about other "must haves", I'm going to stick with just this accessory until I spend some time with my new Hammer.

Thanks

Jamie Buxton
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
The choice between the two gauges has little to with the rest of the machine. The question is whether you want to run your shop as a decimal-inch shop, or as a metric one.

Me, I use decimal-inch. I have an intuitive feel for what an inch is. I can figure out dimensions in centimeters, but I have to think about it.

Alex Silva
03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Get the reducer to 4'' for dust collection and an extra set of cobalt knives.

Cheers

Alex

Darren Brown
03-13-2010, 1:11 AM
Tom,

What is this Felder sale you speak of? I just ordered my Hammer A3-31 and am contemplating getting the digital handwheel but when I asked the salesman about an upcoming sale he said he didn't know if accessories were going to be included.

Thanks,

Darren Brown

Tom W Armstrong
03-13-2010, 10:04 AM
What is this Felder sale you speak of? I just ordered my Hammer A3-31 and am contemplating getting the digital handwheel but when I asked the salesman about an upcoming sale he said he didn't know if accessories were going to be included.

Hey Darren,

I think it starts next week. My salesman (Fergus in CA) is the one that told me about it when I ordered my J/P a few weeks ago. He said to wait until the "spring sale" to add the accessories to my order. He even called me last week to remind me about the sale and to send him an email with the list of accessories to he could make sure I would ge the 15% off.

Tom

Scot Ferraro
03-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Order the Accessories when you order the machine -- they will work out a deal for you and you will not have to pay shipping for the additional items. Also, if you register for the Felder website you get a 10% discount on your first purchase.

Scot

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2010, 4:46 PM
I decided to go metric with mine, and started making my shop drawings in metric as well.

It's far easier in the shop to find the center of 324mm than 11 17/32"

It's also easier to calculate dimensions when designing, since you're adding whole numbers.

Whereas I used to make 3/4" thick pieces with the planer, I now opt for 20mm.

So my suggestion is to go metric with the gauge.

I also have 2 short extension tables and mounting rails which allow me to extend the jointer infeed and outfeed tables, as well as the planer outfeed.

The planer outfeed is always used, occasionally the jointer infeeds are used.

Some day I'll get a couple more brackets and put them on my bandsaw.

Regards, Rod.