PDA

View Full Version : outdoor sign

Don Necaise
03-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I have to design a sign for a community little league for board of directors and such. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I should make this out of. I was thinking of maybe black marble or something like that. Thanks for any input.

Bill Jermyn
03-13-2010, 6:23 AM
How will it be mounted? Onto what material? How big is the sign? Does it need to be vandal-proof? When you say board of directors, will it have the names of directors and thus need to be changeable? What type of climate does it need to withstand (snow etc.)?

Sorry, but I've never been involved in little league.

Joe Pelonio
03-13-2010, 9:42 AM
I have done similar signs for local leagues, and even scoreboards. Dibond or similar (Thin aluminum both sides with solid plastic core) with vinyl lettering is the most durable and when there is a change the lettering can be peeled off and replaced with the new name. On the other hand, with something more permanent you get to do the whole sign over when someone new is elected. If you went with something like marble, you can
engrave/paint fill the logo and other permanent information, then use some individual overlays for the names, perhaps exterior grade Rowmark.

Don Necaise
03-13-2010, 3:26 PM
the sign will be mounted on side of building at the ball field and names will not have to be changed. It needs to be weather proof for sure

Larry Bratton
03-13-2010, 4:14 PM
the sign will be mounted on side of building at the ball field and names will not have to be changed. It needs to be weather proof for sure
How big does it need to be Don?
I make a good many signs with PVC backs and acrylic letters glued to it. I normally prime and paint the PVC with Sherwin Williams Super Paint, (plastic formula). I cut my letters on the laser. If the sign is not bigger than my laser table, I put the PVC back in and very lightly vector my layout on it. Then I glue my letters to it with Weldon 16. Makes a nice looking, durable, relatively inexpensive sign.
The attached photo is all PVC. I cut the letters on CNC router.

laura passek
03-13-2010, 5:15 PM
If it needs to be protected from vandalism and weather you could always put a piece of plexiglass over top of it, just make sure the sign material is UV resistant.
Post pic of finished sign if you can.
Laura.