PDA

View Full Version : Segmented indian pot

mike fuson
03-12-2010, 8:26 PM
Don't know if I have mentioned this before but I own and opperate a custom kitchen cabinet shop and sometimes we get some soft maple bord in that have some dark wood in the heart that I won't put into cabinets. So I thought I'd do a segmented piece with them. This one measures 11 wide by 10 high. Antique oil finish. The other wood is walnut. Thanks for looking.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/segmentedindianpot.jpg
close up of the mid section
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/zigzagclose.jpg
and a close up of the rim
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/zigzagrim.jpg

Steve Mawson
03-12-2010, 8:28 PM
Another beauty, wish I knew how you do that.

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 8:34 PM
Mike, you are one very, very talented person!! Not only is your woodturning superb, but you are a true artist. This is an exceptionally nice piece. Still like the last one a little better simply because of the style, but the quality of work and the artistic expression of both are equally impressive.

Frank Van Atta
03-12-2010, 8:34 PM
Very nice work.

Kevin J Lalonde
03-12-2010, 8:35 PM
Stunning Mike! If your cabinets come out half as good as your turnings, the homes should be built around them. Fine piece!

Baxter Smith
03-12-2010, 9:12 PM
Nice wood - Great Design! Very impressive once again!

Tom Giacomo
03-12-2010, 9:17 PM
Beautiful segmented piece, realy nice job.

Richard Madison
03-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Another beauty Mike. Alignment looks perfect on this one too, but I have to study it a bit when you change number of segments per ring. Wall thickness?

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2010, 9:38 PM
Beautiful Mike. Really nice form, finish and your joints are well just perfect.

David E Keller
03-12-2010, 9:43 PM
It looks great, Mike.

Rick Mellin
03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Mike, you turn out some of the nicest looking work that I have ever seen. Very clean looking miters and color contrast.

alex carey
03-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Mike that is a great piece, I know little of segmenting so maybe you could explain something to me. I noticed on the bottom part of the rim immediately after the rather white layer their is a segmentation of dark wood light wood dark wood. I can also see this between the zig zags. How exactly do you do this and how thin is that wood? This looks extremely difficult.

mike fuson
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Mike that is a great piece, I know little of segmenting so maybe you could explain something to me. I noticed on the bottom part of the rim immediately after the rather white layer their is a segmentation of dark wood light wood dark wood. I can also see this between the zig zags. How exactly do you do this and how thin is that wood? This looks extremely difficult.

This is veneers, and its not that difficult.

mike fuson
03-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Another beauty Mike. Alignment looks perfect on this one too, but I have to study it a bit when you change number of segments per ring. Wall thickness?

I guess about 1/4'', maybe a little more.

alex carey
03-12-2010, 10:58 PM
shows how much i know...

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Mike - beautiful work - as always! Interesting variation of a southwestern style form! Amazing joinery! Nice use of contrasting woods - especially the light colored veneer! Glad to see you could use the dark maple scraps!

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to see what you will turn next!

Richard Madison
03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks Mike.

steven carter
03-13-2010, 6:46 AM
Fantastic, I really like the form on this one and the finish is supurb -- all as usual.

Steve

Bill Bulloch
03-13-2010, 7:32 AM
Very, very nice piece. So you work with wood all day, then come home and work with wood at night. What a life.

Roland Martin
03-13-2010, 7:55 AM
Extremely fine work Mike! I also run a custom kitchen cabinetry shop and turn for relaxation. I use a fair amount of soft maple for painted cabinetry and it has provided me with some awesome stock I can't use on kitchens. I've turned some of the really curly stuff into pens, don't throw much away.
Making a living as a cabinetmaker, I can now understand how your joinery comes out so amazing. I admire all of the turnings I've seen you post, you are an artist!

Jeff Nicol
03-13-2010, 7:55 AM
Mike, This is one of my favorites from you in the segmented arena! Nice form and the seams are tight and design is great! Like I say everytime I comment on a segmented piece, someday I will give it a try!

Great job,

Jeff

Greg Bender
03-13-2010, 9:07 AM
Mike,
really really nice piece.Joinery is impressive ,wood choice is very good.Where/how did you get started in segmented.I look at these segmented pieces and think--complicated--to even lay out.Is there something,book or video that would help me get a start.I also do cabinetry and have a lot of off cuts that I could put to good use.What is the process to laying out the veneer at angles and coming out even or it is just working within a certain number of egmenst in a given ring and going from there.Thanx
Greg

Robert McGowen
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Very nice, Mike. I like the veneer work.

Curt Fuller
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Incredible Mike! They don't get any better!

mike fuson
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Mike,
really really nice piece.Joinery is impressive ,wood choice is very good.Where/how did you get started in segmented.I look at these segmented pieces and think--complicated--to even lay out.Is there something,book or video that would help me get a start.I also do cabinetry and have a lot of off cuts that I could put to good use.What is the process to laying out the veneer at angles and coming out even or it is just working within a certain number of egmenst in a given ring and going from there.Thanx
Greg

Greg, Segmenting opens up a whole new world to turning in my opinion and the possibilities are almost endless. I did my first segmented piece about 25 years ago in high school and you get better at it as you go. You have to have good accurate tools. A disk sander is a must, I also have a drum sander which makes it nice. Most of my ideas comes from just looking at a piece and getting an idea for a variation. I have Malcolm's book and got his videos the other day. I learned quite a bit from his book but the videos are much better at getting it in your head in my opinion. I also have Ray Allen's book and have learned a lot from it also. Once you understand the basics you can about do any of it. Take my advice and buy a fraction calculater it makes the math a piece of cake.

mike fuson
03-13-2010, 6:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

brian watts
03-13-2010, 6:55 PM
WOW very nice work....would love to know how to do that on a turkey call..

Paul Douglass
03-13-2010, 9:02 PM
OKay, well I'm in AWE of hat makers and segmenting-ers. That is a beautiful piece of art.

mike fuson
03-13-2010, 9:55 PM
OKay, well I'm in AWE of hat makers and segmenting-ers. That is a beautiful piece of art.

I guess you would really like a segmented hat then.:rolleyes:

Dean Jones
03-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Wow, I can't imagine how you do that. It so happens I did my very first segmented bowl today and even with it being a very simple design it was a pain. It was fun though and turned out OK. But your piece is just incredible work, congratulations....