PDA

View Full Version : 2nd & 3rd Churchill Pens

James Combs
03-12-2010, 8:00 PM
I finished the 2nd "training" pen in my Churchill series and with two "training pens" completed I went to work on my customers TruStone pen.:)

No. 2 came out looking great but it is a good thing I did the training pens. Although no. 2 looked great it would not write.:mad: Why you ask? Well the nib became clogged with a build up of CA. And how did that happen?:confused: Nope I didn't get any CA on the nib.

Here is how it probably happened. If you are familiar with any of the crime investigation TV shows and their method of extracting finger prints by using CA glue vapor then you have a good idea as to how it might have happened. I had very sparingly glued (2 or 3 pinhead size drops) the finial bushing, center ban, nib holder, and receiver holder into their locations. I have always done this as assembly insurance because I have had a few parts come loose in the slimline pens. However, with this pen when every thing is assembled and the cap is in place you have a more or less air tight chamber. The glue not being 100% cured was still wafting off vapors. These vapors reacted with either my finger prints or oil left over from the nib manufacturing process (my vote is for the oil) and caused a buildup of a white-tish looking substance (you can see some at the top of the black part of the nib) It was very substantial and hard. It apparently filled up the small feed grove between the tip and the feed fins and blocked the ink. You could not see my finger prints anyplace before assembly. Actually there is a clear plastic piece of hose over the nib and I didn't remove it until I was taking photos. Again my vote is for the oil. The good side is that all I have to do is replace the nib to get it back into business. Needless to say I did not use any glue on the 3rd or customer pen.

Anyway disregarding the fact that No. 2 doesn't work (yet) tell me what you think. I love the wood on No. 2 (checkout the closeup) and No.3 is just downright extraordinary. It actually looks as good in person as it does in the photos. I wore white gloves working with it.:D

No. 2 Rose Wood (possible a burl) - Two Coats of crystal coat, one coat Hut wax stick, 3rd crystal coat, final Hut wax stick.

No. 3 (customer') TruStone-CSU Red Jasper or Bloody Basin Red Jasper (depending on site) sanded to 1200 grit then polished with HUT Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish. I thing the customer will be pleased.;)

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 8:45 PM
JD, both of these pens look exceptionally nice, and I know you favor the TruStone, but that burl is the clear winner in my book!! That piece of wood is extremely attractive. The TruStone look just doesn't do a lot for me, but then, I haven't developed much interest in doing pens.....yet.

Nice work!!

Baxter Smith
03-12-2010, 8:52 PM
Both look nice but the rosewood by a longshot for me. Maybe different seeing them in person.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2010, 9:41 PM
James both of those are beauties but the first really catches my eye.

David E Keller
03-12-2010, 9:48 PM
Both are very nice, but I'm with the rest of the boys. The rosewood burl is a favorite of mine for pens, and yours is a very nice looking example.

Chris Stolicky
03-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I like the rosewood. It reminds me of amboyna burl.

Word of advice about gluing pen components - I (and others) have found that a very small dab of lock-tite works really well. CA can give off gasses for a long time and literally eat platings; while also leaving a white reside.

The lock-tite does take a while to cure, but it works without the smelly, sticky, mess. Just leave the pen open for a while (day or so) to let it cure.

Matt Ranum
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree the rosewood is the prettiest. Very nice fit too.

John be careful......I had no interest either a while ago.:p

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
James - very nice work on both of these! Love the burl! Your customer should be very happy with the TruStone pen!

John Terefenko
03-13-2010, 1:52 PM
I am of the burl rosewood fans also. I never did get a good feeling for any truestone so that is why I never use it. But your fit and finish is spot on. I also agree with one of the other posters, stay away from CA as a glueing parts use. I use the red loctite and it may take a bit longer to set up but it works well on metal parts,.

Have to compliment you on your photos also. Very well done. Thanks for showing.

Dave Haughs
03-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Those look great! Love #1

James Combs
03-14-2010, 2:54 PM
JD, both of these pens look exceptionally nice, ... I know you favor the TruStone, but that burl is the clear winner.... I haven't developed much interest in doing pens.....yet...

John and all of guys are taking my comments all wrong.:eek: Positive comments from me on the TruStone are strictly from/for the customer prospective. I dislike working with any of the plastics, they stink,:( but as far as looks this one came out great. Now, great plastic is in no way comparable to even good wood.;) I didn't do a close up of the plastic the close up was of the rosewood because it is :cool:.

I like the rosewood...I (and others) have found that a very small dab of lock-tite works.....

I am of the burl rosewood fans...I also agree with one of the other posters, stay away from CA...

I will be giving lock-tite a try on any that I think are too loose. Thanks for the heads up.