PDA

View Full Version : Roof coating for 5th wheel?

Dave Johnson29
03-12-2010, 7:33 PM
Hi All,

I have a 1985, 35ft, aluminum sheet covered 5th wheel that came with this place when I bought it. It is in pretty good shape inside but I noticed a small leak in there the other day. Nothing serious but when I checked the roof, the aluminum panels are all starting to lift slightly at the joints. The ice and thawing is taking its toll it seems.

Any suggestions for what I can "paint" on to save for a few more years yet. It makes a great guest house for friends and family for the warmer months.

I am thinking maybe some mastic-like-goop. I'd like white colored stuff but that is secondary to stemming any farther leakage.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Bill Rogers
03-12-2010, 8:17 PM
Dave,

If you have a roofing distributor near you see if they carry GAF's TopCoat material. It is used to waterproof metal roofs and it might do the job on your trailer (but it isn't cheap). Here is a link to the Topcoat material. http://gaf.com/Roofing/Commercial-Roofing/Commercial-Grade-Roofing-Products/Elastomeric-Liquid-Membranes-Coatings-Sealants-Adhesives/TOPCOAT/TOPCOAT-Membrane.asp

Avoid the Borg stuff.

Bill

Scott Velie
03-12-2010, 8:17 PM
painting mastic is a not the way to go. Go to an RV dealer or repair facility. What you want is a roll of butyl tape designed for roofs. It is about 3" wide and is designed for seams. You just cut to length and remove the protective cover and stick it down . It is really sticky.
There is also a self leveling compound available in caulk tubes but it is a lot messier.
Whatever you use make sure the label says it is for horizontal surfaces. It must have a UV protectant in it

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys,

I should also have mentioned that the 5th wheel gave up it's mobile days as my Ram 1500 is not built strong enough to support the weight.

I'll chase down those suggestions.

James Rambo
03-15-2010, 9:36 PM
Dave, I just sold my 1978 Mallard camper and the roof had a couple of wet spots. My wife works at a rv repair center and asked the guys about roof repair stuff. We went to wally world, they have a camper section. We found a 4 inch wide tape designed to patch metal roofs that is guaranteed for something like 10 years.

John alder
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I did the seams on a motor home with an aluminum roof with a 3 or 4 inch wide tape trying to recall the name something like enviro----- or eve----??darn ole mind.Any how you can find find it in many RV sites its garenteed and it worked great for me,its used to insulate under water electric stuff as well.Not cheap but worth it.Dont use silicone that stuff is only good for a gasket or joint thats clamped together.Here is the link for eternabond tape.good ole google lol
http://www.eternabond.com/

Dave Johnson29
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks John and James. I will check out the tape.

I also found some stuff called Kool Seal. It is an elastomeric-film paint on stuff. Reviews I have found seemed to think it is OK stuff.

At $35/gallon not cheap but that is supposed to cover 75/100 sq feet. It might save me from finding any more leaks. :):)

Many thanks to everyone who responded. Much appreciated.

Bill Rogers
03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
As a roofing contractor, I can tell you two things:

1.) avoid the Kool Seal products sold at the Borg.

2.) self-adhering tapes don't last (especially Butyl).

Sorry for all of the bad new!!

Bill