PDA

View Full Version : Luan Bookshelf Backs?

brent lenthall
11-04-2004, 11:57 PM
I'm working on a bulit-in cabinet/bookshelf that I will spray (white). In the past, I've used bead board for the bookcase back or 1/4 maple/birch ply. With 1/4 luan half the price of maple, I'm wondering how well it will take paint.

I'm priming with a white tined shellac sealer that will hide any color variations, but doesn't really "build". I only need two sheets and don't want to shoot myself in the foot to try and save $20.

thanks,

brent

Jamie Buxton
11-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Lauan is a rather large-pored wood, while maple has very fine pores. After you spray lauan, you'll see those pores, while you don't on the maple.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-05-2004, 7:00 AM
I'd go with Birch. I made that mistake once with Luaun...it's a terrible ply for cabinetry unless it's for the shop.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-05-2004, 9:10 AM
Like the others have said, luan has a really rough surface and doesn't ususally match other wood. However, I have used it on book cases where you really don't see it because of the books.

Betsy Yocum
11-05-2004, 9:21 AM
I'd stay miles away from Luan for the bookcase back. I've used it and it does not paint all that well in comparison with the rest of the bookcase. I'd spend the extra $20.

just my 2 cents.
Betsy

Byron Trantham
11-05-2004, 9:50 AM
I'd stay miles away from Luan for the bookcase back. I've used it and it does not paint all that well in comparison with the rest of the bookcase. I'd spend the extra $20.

just my 2 cents.
Betsy

I agree with Betsy. Not worth the savings.

brent lenthall
11-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll stick with Birch/Maple. The extra $20 will certainly offset buying luan, sanding, priming, spraying, replacing with birch...... etc.

brent

Charlie Plesums
11-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Something else to consider... The Orange and Blue boxes sell 1/4 inch ply (actually 7/32, but who is counting) for floor underlayment, typically under $10 per sheet. The surface is pretty dense (more than luan), no gaps in the layers, etc. I haven't tried painting it, but I sometimes use it for drawer bottoms and it finishes fine with lacquer.

Fred Chan
11-06-2004, 1:41 AM
Make a trip to your local Ducati motorcycle dealer. The bikes are shipped in 1/4" baltic birch plywood crates. They're happy to have someone take the plywood to save on disposal costs. Of course it would be a shame to paint over the nice Ducati signs.:)