PDA

View Full Version : Corel X5-setting default line to hairline?

Larry Bratton
03-12-2010, 4:12 PM
Please forgive me if I am overlooking something. I followed this procedure for setting the default line width to hairline and it does not work for me.
With nothing selected in the page, open the Outline Pen flyout
Select Outline Pen at the top
In the dialogue box checked "Graphic"
Then set Hairline as the width
Then Tools/Save Settings as default
After this procedure, I close the file and then a New file and the line width has reverted back to .5pt.

Anybody else experiencing this, or am I just overlooking something as I did with finding the Boundary tool?

Rudy Ress
03-12-2010, 5:47 PM
After saving did you exit Corel and then restart it? When I did close and restart it remained as hairline.

Larry Bratton
03-12-2010, 5:57 PM
No, I did not restart the program. I closed out the current page and opened a new one. Let me try that.
Tried that and it still doesn't work. This is the Trial Version but is supposed to be fully functional.

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2010, 7:11 PM
This is the Trial Version but is supposed to be fully functional.Not being able to save settings is a typical feature of "trial" software...
don't know if that's what's happening here, but it wouldn't be that surprising.

"Fully functional" is a rather vague phrase, IMHO.

Mitchell Andrus
03-12-2010, 7:32 PM
Not being able to save settings is a typical feature of "trial" software...

Agreed. Post a Q on the Corel user's group forum and see if they agree.

Scott Challoner
03-12-2010, 7:52 PM
I downloaded the upgrade last night and I plan on installing it tonight. I let you know if I can do it.

Kevin Baker
03-13-2010, 6:05 AM
I didn't have a problem doing this in X5. I also used the same process as you did and when I restart X5, my "default" of hairline and color red are correct.

Larry Bratton
03-13-2010, 2:26 PM
Not being able to save settings is a typical feature of "trial" software...

Funny though, it saves the other defaults I set just fine. Page Size, grid, etc etc. But..it may be that the Evaluation version won't do it. I'll do some more research. I am going to purchase the Upgrade so, maybe it will become a non-issue with that version.

Scott Challoner
03-14-2010, 5:15 PM
I just finished my installation and it worked fine for me. I didn't try it before I registered it though so I don't know if it would have worked or not.

Larry Bratton
03-14-2010, 6:52 PM
I just finished my installation and it worked fine for me. I didn't try it before I registered it though so I don't know if it would have worked or not.
It's probably just in the Evaluation version. I'll expect it to work OK when I license it. I like it though, it's got some slick features.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-22-2010, 2:26 PM
FWIW, this should work in the trail version.

One thing to note though, there is a setting for documents whether they use CMYK or RGB colors..each of these holds their own sets of defaults...so first go to Tools>Color Management> Default settings and set the Primary color mode to RGB. Click OK. (more info on what goes on in this dialog in an earlier post).

The go to file>new and ensure it's using the same Primary Color Mode as you set in the default dialog (it will, but just double check). Now set the default outline to hairline and save the settings as default. When you click on File>New it should use the same setting (.5pt).
T.

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-27-2010, 2:07 PM
Larry, did you get this fixed?

I had trouble setting mine today, but finally rembered to set it to hairline after I clicked on the box tool, BUT before I drew the box.

Then save as default under tools.

Gwendolyn Lee
05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Not sure if anyone is still having difficulties, but I also discovered a fix (that works for the demo version).

As of X3, RGB is no longer the default - CMYK is
As of X5, the default RGB Color Profile (at least in my demo version) was also not compatible with the red hairline.

To repair this in X5, I went to:
Tools --> Color Management --> Default Settings

The default under "Color Profiles" is a long, odd, RGB name. I changed:
- "Color profile" of RGB to be defaulted to "Adobe RGB (1998)"
- "Primary color mode" from CMYK to RGB

I did not try any other RGB color profiles, but if you do not have the Adobe RGB, I'd try a different RGB color profile on your machine. This was the first alternate profile I tried, and it worked fine.

I couldn't believe that there would be so much nuance in an RGB that a simple *red line* would not work, so I changed back to the old settings: didn't work again. Changed back to Adobe RGB (1998): worked like a charm.

Perhaps the new settings are more conducive for graphic designers? (It shows all sorts of designed entries for a Corel competition on install.) As I engrave/etch/cut/etc. with Corel, I don't mind foregoing the magical new hues.

<edit> Just realized I answered a question that wasn't asked...ahh well, 'twas hopefully a good answer to a different question.</edit>