PDA

View Full Version : Glue question

Brian Greb
03-12-2010, 3:45 PM
I'm looking to glue up laminated legs for a stand... I know how to do it, but here is the rub. What kind of glue would be best to glue ebony to snake-wood. I'm making kind of a snake-wood sandwich.
So here are my options for glue:

1. PVA glue type II or type III
2. Epoxy 5 or 60 min.
3. Urea Formaldehyde glue (plastic resin glue)
4. CA
5. Craft glue

so what do y'all think would be the best glue choice?
The layers of my sandwich are 1/8" thick, and mostly smooth.

thanks for your help in this matter.

David E Keller
03-12-2010, 3:51 PM
I think the epoxy would be your best choice for economy. Thick CA would work as well, but depending on the size of the piece, it might be a little expensive. That's just my best guess because I've never glued those two together that I recall.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2010, 4:16 PM
Myself I would use 60 minuted epoxy which will give you some working time and clamp.

Roland Martin
03-12-2010, 7:33 PM
I'm with Bernie, 60 min. epoxy.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-12-2010, 8:18 PM
Brian, you wrote that the layers were "mostly smooth". Don't rely on any glue to fill in the gaps. If you are serious about both appearance and long term stability, you need near perfect surfaces. Snakewood is relatively high in natural oils; the strongest joints will result by gluing soon after the surfaces have been milled. The snakewood strips should not be allowed to sit around your shop for days before gluing. If they are not glued the same day as they as milled, then you will risk extractives in the wood seeping to the surface and weakening the glue joint. Wiping oily wood with acetone before gluing is an option, but testing has never conclusively shown the benefits. Regarding glue, any of the Titebond glues should work fine. If water is an issue, then of course use the II or III. Plastic resin would be my second choice. My experiences with epoxy are limited, but I've seen a lot of epoxy joints develop what people refer to as "glue creep" - tiny ridges can easily develop, even after months and months.

Frank Van Atta
03-12-2010, 8:37 PM
I've had problems with Snakewood/Ebony joints when using CA glue. I would make sure the mating surfaces fit as perfectly as possible, clean with alcohol, then glue with Titebond II.

Brian Greb
03-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Thank you all for your input... I thought I knew what I was doing, I just needed that second opinion/confirmation.

FYI: I went with the tightbond II and I wiped down the snakewood with a deoiling agent(My mix of proprietary ingredients but it's mostly DNA).

I'll post pics of the finished project... hopefully it will be done soon.:o

Thanks again.