PDA

View Full Version : Thinner material for templates.

Joe Peacock
03-12-2010, 1:52 PM
I am currently using .035 PETG to make templates for the general craft industry. I am being asked to develop stencils for the ceramics industry and I need something a lot thinner that I can cut on the laser. It needs to be thin so that it will wrap around cylinders and other curved surfaces without breaking. It also needs to be clear so that the stencil can be seen through for proper placement on the piece. I sure would appreciate any material suggestions (and suppliers) anyone might have.
Thanks,
Joe

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2010, 2:01 PM
Mylar? I cut .004" Mylar frequently and it's tough stuff when it comes to being durable. You could go thicker for sure, but it's tough stuff.

Doug Griffith
03-12-2010, 2:23 PM
I agree about Mylar. I see you having problems with wrapping any stencil around a curve unless it has some type of adhesive on the back. Otherwise corners and other protrusions will lift up. If spraying there will be bleed.

Darryl Hazen
03-12-2010, 2:27 PM
If you can find any clear vu-graph sheets (for overhead projectors) at an office supply place they engrave very well. Look for them in the "close-out" section since most companies are phasing out view graph projectors.

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2010, 7:05 PM
Here's a good starting point: http://www.grafixarts.com/table%20of%20contents.htm
(Their industrial/wholesale site is http://www.grafixplastics.com/.)

Joe Peacock
03-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Any ideas on the settings to cut it with a Universal VLS2.30 30 watt machine?
Do you get "smoke damage" cutting mylar like you do with acrylic and PETG?
Joe

Scott Shepherd
03-14-2010, 8:57 AM
Joe, I don't know what thickness you will be using, but .004" Mylar cuts very well. I cut thin stuff at about 1% power, but I am going slow, about 4% speed. I am cutting very very small detailed work. I'm sure you could crank it up considerably. If you have air assist, you want to use it. Biggest problem I have seen is it wants to melt if you are too slow.

George Brown
03-15-2010, 2:37 PM
If you can find any clear vu-graph sheets (for overhead projectors) at an office supply place they engrave very well. Look for them in the "close-out" section since most companies are phasing out view graph projectors.

Any idea what material that clear vu material is, not pvc by any chance?

Lee DeRaud
03-15-2010, 6:56 PM
Any idea what material that clear vu material is, not pvc by any chance?Used to be acetate, probably mylar now.

Darryl Hazen
03-16-2010, 8:01 AM
It doesn't say on the box but, I agree with Lee that it is probably Mylar. The box says Apollo Plain Paper Copier Transparency Film. There's nothing on the box that says what it's made from.

Joe Peacock
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas and sources. Are there any vendors you know of that will cut .010 and .020" to the size I need (12"x 16")
Joe