PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Festivals - and Queens

Belinda Barfield
03-12-2010, 1:44 PM
One thing I love about the South, we're never short on festivals and queens. If a young lady in the south hasn't been crowned the Queen of something its only because she hasn't tried. On the eve of the Claxton Rattlesnake Roundup, complete with Rattlesnake Roundup Queen, I started thinking about some of the more unusual events we have around here and was wondering about events in other parts of the country. So, what's the most unusual event held in your area? In these parts, in addition to the Rattlesnake Roundup, there's the Vienna Big Pig Jig, the Salley (SC) Chittlin' Strut, and Mule Days just to name a few. I'm not too sure if its an honor to be crowned Big Pig Queen, Mule Queen, or Chittlin' Queen but hey, a crown is a crown! :D

Dave Johnson29
03-12-2010, 2:03 PM
We have a few but not as entertaining names as yours Belinda. A few of the roads less traveled ones.

Not sure if they all have Queens though. ;)

Taylor Sweet Corn Festival
White Mountain Story Telling Festival
Hondah Sled Dog Weight Pull Festival
Native American Arts Festival

Chris Padilla
03-12-2010, 3:51 PM
We just have queens....

Pat Germain
03-12-2010, 4:30 PM
I used to live near Smithfield, Virginia; home of Smithfield hams. Every year they had a festival and crowned a "Pork Queen". One year an animal rights activist threw a pie in the Pork Queen's face at the festival. Boy, was the town of Smithfield mad! They were so mad, they wanted to prosecute the animal rights activist.

It turned out there was no law against throwing a pie at someone. It wasn't even considered assault. Well, somebody found out the activist was living with her boyfriend. Since Virginia did have a "Co-Habitation" law on the books from the previous century, Smithfield tried to get her prosecuted under that law. She would have been the first in Virginia history. The state (or, more accurately, The Commonwealth) declined. But, as far as I know, the law is still in effect.

Now I'm in Colorado Springs where we crowned the El Paso County Fair Queen just two days ago. I don't know how many applicants there were this year, but back in 2005 there was only one applicant. She got the job.

Brent Ring
03-12-2010, 6:56 PM
I hope this is not a thread hijack, but it seemed to fit.

During the summer, we have "Days", usually a 3-5 day affair for all of the local communities to show their community pride. Where I live currently, in Saratoga Springs, UT, we have the "Saratoga Splash". But there are Swiss Days in Midway, Strawberry Days in Pleasant Grove, Steel Days in American Fork, Lavender Days in Mona, Pioneer Days in Lehi, Freedom Days in Provo, Golden Onion Days in Payson, Art City Days in Springville, and SummerFest in Orem, and Vernal has Dinosaur Days!

Kinda entertaining! And they all get queens in the local parades!

Archie Hendrick
03-12-2010, 7:15 PM
This probably goes without saying because it's right up there with the Kentucky Derby Festival, the Rose Bowl and the Iditarod, so I doubt there's anyone who doesn't know about it. But, if you're visiting from another planet, here's some info:

The Trenary Outhouse Classic is an amazing international (this year, at least) athletic event hosted by the village...er...hamlet (?) of Trenary, Michigan (pop. 300-400). Every February thousands of specators from across the country (seriously) descend on Trenary in the center of Michigan's Upper Peninsula to support their favorite ... umm.....racing outhouses. This year (the 17th EVER!) there was even a queen. Check it out - google Trenary Outhouse Classic. It's a hoot, and helps us forget that there are only 3-4 more months of winter.

As cool as the Outhouse Classic is, most of us here also enjoy the solstice festivals (winter and summer) 'cause that's when folks across the UP celebrate Changing of the Long Johns Day!! The festivals on the spring and autumn equinoxes (equini?) are more subdued - those are the days we just turn 'em inside-out .

Arch

Logan William
03-12-2010, 9:03 PM
I was a judge for the neighboring county's County Fair Queen contest last year

Jim Rimmer
03-12-2010, 9:22 PM
We just have queens....
I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read your post. LOL

Zach England
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I hope this is not a thread hijack, but it seemed to fit.

During the summer, we have "Days", usually a 3-5 day affair for all of the local communities to show their community pride. Where I live currently, in Saratoga Springs, UT, we have the "Saratoga Splash". But there are Swiss Days in Midway, Strawberry Days in Pleasant Grove, Steel Days in American Fork, Lavender Days in Mona, Pioneer Days in Lehi, Freedom Days in Provo, Golden Onion Days in Payson, Art City Days in Springville, and SummerFest in Orem, and Vernal has Dinosaur Days!

Kinda entertaining! And they all get queens in the local parades!

I have never heard of any of these things nor most of these places. I should probably get out of my little sugarhouse bubble more...

Jason Strauss
03-13-2010, 8:44 AM
Here in Lake County, Indiana, we have Pierogi Fest. Lake County is adjacent to Cook County, IL which is the county that contains the City of Chicago. Pierogi Fest occurs in the town of Whiting. This is an old blue collar town made up of steel mill and other heavy industry workers and is largely Polish - great people.

For the uninitiated, a pierogi is a small dough pocket that can be filled with a variety of things - potato, cheese, sauerkraut, meat, or sometimes fruit, typically a plum concoction. These small treats are usually boiled and then pan fried and paired with polish sausage or bratwurst - yum!

...any yes, there is a Pierogi Fest Queen! We go every year to enjoy the food and watch the Polka dancing!

Check it out...
www.pierogifest.net

Belinda Barfield
03-13-2010, 9:06 AM
The Trenary Outhouse Classic is an amazing international (this year, at least) athletic event hosted by the village...er...hamlet (?) of Trenary, Michigan (pop. 300-400). Every February thousands of specators from across the country (seriously) descend on Trenary in the center of Michigan's Upper Peninsula to support their favorite ... umm.....racing outhouses. This year (the 17th EVER!) there was even a queen. Check it out - google Trenary Outhouse Classic. It's a hoot, and helps us forget that there are only 3-4 more months of winter.

As cool as the Outhouse Classic is, most of us here also enjoy the solstice festivals (winter and summer) 'cause that's when folks across the UP celebrate Changing of the Long Johns Day!! The festivals on the spring and autumn equinoxes (equini?) are more subdued - those are the days we just turn 'em inside-out .

Arch

Arch, I do believe you win so far. How long is the Queen's sash that reads Miss Changing of the Long Johns Day? Too funny!

I just remembered that we have the Catfish Festival coming up, not unusual, but great food! There will be a Miss Catfish crowned. In May is one of my favorite events - no queen - The Scottish Games. A man in a kilt trumps a queen in a crown any day! Unless, like Chris, you frequently see men in kilts and crowns. ;) Yes, I've seen that in Savannah too.

Charlie Reals
03-13-2010, 9:14 AM
We have grape stomp, lumberjack days, Daffodil fest and the world famous " Frog jumps".

Dan Bundy
03-13-2010, 9:20 AM
A town I lived in during much of my formative years (Fulton, Ky) used to have a "Banana Festival" every summer because it billed itself as the "Banana Capital of the World" [Explanation to follow]. They would have a "Hostess Princess" pageant for it.

A nearby Tennessee town (Paris, on Kentucky Lake) still has the "World's Biggest Fish Fry" every April. It evolved from a Mule Days celebration, I believe. They also elect a fish fry queen (I can't recall the title) to preside over festivities such as catfish races, a parade and the other standard fare for such events.

NOW FOR THE BANANA CAPITAL EXPLANATION:
Fulton was once a major hub on the Illinois Central railroad, sitting nearly halfway between New Orleans, La., and Chicago, Ill. Bananas were taken off boats in New Orleans, iced and sent northward. At Fulton, the bananas were re-iced and then rerouted to the rest of the U.S.

In the heyday of the Banana Festival, 10-15 "amigos" from Ecuador would come to Fulton for the Festival week and stay with host families. And you've never lived until you've had a scoop of 1-ton banana pudding that's been hauled through town on a flatbed truck in an August parade! The town still has an annual festival, but it's no longer centered on the banana theme (I think the railroad has been given prominence, but I moved away 20 years ago and haven't kept up).

mike holden
03-13-2010, 9:46 AM
Belinda,
We have a mosquito festival, and a fish fly festival among others in SE Michigan.
With the attendant Queens and Courts.
They are fun, and you see some really interesting tee shirts sold at the festivals.
Mike

Belinda Barfield
03-14-2010, 8:59 AM
Not a festival, but a fairly famous event around here (and one I'm not particularly proud of) is the The Redneck Games. I think they stopped crowning a queen because there were just too many contestants wanting to wear the Miss Redneck sash. ;)

Rick Moyer
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Not a festival, but a fairly famous event around here (and one I'm not particularly proud of) is the The Redneck Games. I think they stopped crowning a queen because there were just too many contestants wanting to wear the Miss Redneck sash. ;)

Sounds like Delaware's "Punkin Chuckin" event every year.

bruce cain
03-14-2010, 2:13 PM
Up in Beaver, OK they have the world championship cow chip throwing contest, but I think the queen is known as Miss Pioneer

Bruce

Michael Weber
03-14-2010, 2:58 PM
Well, Central Arkansas has a Toad Suck festival. At Toad Suck appropriately enough. Now I don't know what they might call the Queen if they have one.