PDA

View Full Version : Add image to turning

Raymond Sprouse
03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I have an order for a pen but the guy wants his sons name on the pen. I have tried using a laser printer and reversing the image. Then laying it type down and heating with a soldering iron. Not much luck there. I have also printed it onto thin rice paper. Then layed it onto a thin layer of epoxy and re coating it in more epoxy. I read somewhere that this makes the rice paper transparent. That didn't really work either.

Any ideas???

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Have one of the Starwars people in the engraving and laser forum engrave or laser it.

The talent people there have done it for several folks.

Kenneth Hertzog
03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I can help if you wish
not to far away either
I can laser engrave it
Ken

Tim Hughes37
03-12-2010, 1:41 PM
take it to a trophy shop and they'll do it for a nominal fee.

Mike Golka
03-12-2010, 2:18 PM
Ray your technique with the laser printer type is the same as I have very successfuly used to make printer circut boards. The trick is to slightly roughen the suface to be transfered to with steel wool. It takes considerable heat to melt the pastic that makes up the type, I use an old iron on it's hotest setting. The paper should stick to the object when the type has melted. To remove the paper you must soak it in warm water and gently scrub with a brush. This will remove the paper and leave the pastic. Not sure how this would work with wood but should be be OK on bone, corion and such materials.

Maria Alvarado
03-12-2010, 2:51 PM
Raymond,
If you decide not to go the laser route, waterslide decals work very well. You can buy clear decal paper at hobby stores, print it out on your laserprinter or inkjet. The kits come with a spray to keep the ink from running. I've used them on pens before and it worked well. I think John Lanier has a tutorial somewhere here.