PDA

View Full Version : worst woodworking injury...finishing??

Casey Gooding
03-12-2010, 9:59 AM
So, last week I sustained by far my worst woodworking related injury. And of all things, it happened while finishing.
I built a new entrance for a house (front door, sidelights etc.). Everything was varnished prior to installation but needed a bit of touchup afterward. I was applying additional varnish to the upper piece of case molding when I somehow lost my balance. Next thing I know, I open my eyes and my elbow was bent away from my body.
Turns out I broke my humerus just above the elbow and then split the bone between the break & elbow in half. Required surgery. Now my arm is held together with Stainless Steel plates & screws. The incision is closed up with 20 staples. Could be up to a year before I gain full use of my arm again.
Moral of this story: Let's not forget just how dangerous finishing really is.

Phil Phelps
03-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, the most dangerous part of woodworking. A year? Were you on a ladder? Hope you heal quickly. Have you seen the Google ad below your post?

Casey Gooding
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Well....I was actually on a chair. I know it was dumb. Even my four year old has told me that. I haven't seen the ad, mine are turned off.

Phil Phelps
03-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Well....I was actually on a chair. I know it was dumb. Even my four year old has told me that. I haven't seen the ad, mine are turned off.

Did it have OSHA labeling on it? I couldn't resist, sorry.
The ad said that osteoporosis medication makes leg bones weak.

Rick Prosser
03-12-2010, 5:00 PM
Major Bummer! Hope ya heal quick, but take it easy.

Scott Holmes
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear of your mishap; I hope you get well soon!

Casey Gooding
03-13-2010, 8:14 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about this. Also, I hope others learn from my stupidity.

Tony Bilello
03-13-2010, 3:57 PM
As accidents go, that one is in the 'heavy duty' category. I'm sure you will be beating yourself up for a while and thats only normal. A long time ago I quit asking myself "how stupid could I be?" because I always figured I could top my last act if I really worked at it. Anyway, fortunately, I am getting wiser with age since I realize that I don't heal as fast as I used to.
My other full time vocation is "Protective Coatings Inspector" on the oil rigs offshore. Every morning a different person 'volunteers' to give a short safety talk the next day. My last safety topic was "Safety Should Not End Offshore". A leading cause for preventable accidents is that "this will only take a minute" so we toss safety to the wind especially if we are not accountable for a safety violation at home. We are all guilty of it to some degree or another and just because be get lucky doesnt mean it is safe. This includes eye protection whether in the shop or mowing/weedeating. Enough of my rant.
Thanks for sharing this experience with us and hopefully the lesssons learned by you will prevent an injury to others.

Heal quickly.