PDA

View Full Version : delta dc380 or grizzly 15" planer with spiral head

Michael Schwartz
03-12-2010, 1:55 AM
My plan is to replace my DW735 shortly with a more industrial machine.

I may have an opportunity to buy a used DC380 from a trusted source.

by itself its a good deal but eventually I would like to upgrade it to a Byrd head which would bring the total cost above that of a new 15" planer from grizzly with spiral head.

I have worked quite extensively with the delta 15" planers in a few different shops, one with byrd head and I like them, but I have no experience with the grizzly. My question more or less is which is the better machine, or is there really any difference. Seems like by the time I would upgrade the Delta the grizzly might be a better choice if its of equal quality.

Cary Falk
03-12-2010, 10:06 AM
If I have my planers right the DC380 is the newer Delta 15". It's not old American iron. I would probably say they are about the same in quality. I have been looking at ok deals on CL for straight knife planers, but like you I realize that they are not going to be any cheaper once I put a spiral head on it. I would save some money and some time installing a head and get the G0453z. It's on my short list also.

Jim Riseborough
03-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I have the G0453 with post installed Shelix head. Its perfect for what I do, still havent worked out all the snipe, but cuts perfect. Even ran a end grain cutting board thru it, and was happy with those results.

Ron Bontz
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Just a thought. I have an older Dc380 and it has been rock solid for me. No problems at all. BUT, one of the reasons I still have it and not a Powermatic or larger is because of those fold down tables. When finished I drop them and slide the planer back into it's little spot. I modified mine with a little longer support tables that have guides on them as well. I have a small shop so those cast iron tables would tend to get in the way. If you have the room go for the cast iron support tables. If not +1 for the DC 380. Mine has been a good little work horse.:)

Bruce Wrenn
03-12-2010, 9:45 PM
Are you able to spring for the Grizzly now? If not, then how long (30 days, 6 months, or a couple years) would it be before you upgraded the 380? What is it worth to have the use of the 380 in the mean time? While the idea of the Byrd head is nice, don't let that keep you from having the benefits of the 380. You most likely can sell the 380 in a couple years for what you gave for it, so it would be like having a "free planer" for a short time.

Peter Quinn
03-12-2010, 9:52 PM
I have a dc380, and its a solid little planer. I bought mine used for $325, so add a byrd head, still pretty cheap. I don't have a byrd head as i can live without that for now. But if the Grizzly was going to come in cheaper, I'd go for that. But as Bruce said, having the DC-380 today is nicer than having the Grizzly in two years.

Chip Lindley
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Michael, you don't mention what you can buy the used DC380 for. But, you know what a new Griz with spiral head runs. If you can get the Delta at a used discount and add the spiral head cheaper than the new spiral Griz, the math speaks for itself. Quality of the two machines is virtually equal.