PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa and aunt's presents to the newborn twins....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2010, 11:29 PM
A few weeks ago I posted some photos of a rattle that I'd turned. Since my youngest son and DIL had twin girls...I need a 2nd one. Turning the 2nd one with 2 hollowings was a whole lot more "interesting" or "challenging". I had the 1st one done....I had a 1/8" tenon at one end and a 3/8" tenon at the headstock/chuck end. When I backed the tailstock away to turn off the 1/8" tenon..too much whip so I brought the tailstock back into play. When I tightened up the quill...I went a little too far...punched an 1/8" hole in the end of it....GRRRRR!

Well...it took 3 more tries...but here it is...

The one on the left is the one I posted several weeks ago...the one on the right.....today's project. Unpopped popcorn for rattles. The one on the right has a double hollowing. Maple....frictioned BLO....Frictioned dewaxed shellac...... The crocheted sandals...my oldest son's wife made for the twins. Sunday I'll present everything when I meet my new granddaughters in Houston.

John W Dixon
03-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Ken that is fantastic. What a joyous occasion and I bet you will be proud when they are shaking those things around in a few months.

Congratulations to your family.

John

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Looks great Grandpa! Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

David E Keller
03-12-2010, 12:56 AM
They look great. I'll bet the little ones drool and slobber all over them... mission accomplished. Congrats.

Ray Bell
03-12-2010, 1:22 AM
Good job Ken. It is something they will treasure for life. Have a great trip.
Ray

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 6:15 AM
Ken, great job! What are the dimensions? Those things look pretty small in comparison to the shoes - tricky work!

Congrats on the twins, and enjoy the trip south to Houston! Scrounge up some mesquite while you are there.

Baxter Smith
03-12-2010, 7:42 AM
The rattle and booties look very nice. Very interesting design on the double ended rattle. I can see it being a challenge to get them thin and light enough so they don't bonk themselves in the head! Congratulations on the twin granddaughters!

bob svoboda
03-12-2010, 1:54 PM
Nice job Grandpa. I have a Grand-something due any day now--maybe I'll get busy and try to make something similar!!

Steve Mawson
03-12-2010, 3:38 PM
Way to go Grandpa. Houston should be nice this time of year. Special gift for new twins, pretty neat.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2010, 4:21 PM
Congrats grandpa. Great job on the rattles grandpa. You should be proud.

Roland Martin
03-12-2010, 7:39 PM
Great job on the rattles & congratulations. Have a safe trip.

James Combs
03-12-2010, 8:10 PM
Way go Ken. I am sure they will always be able to count on Gram Pa.