PDA

View Full Version : Production Pocket Hole Cutters/Framing Table

Jason Yeager
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Greetings,

I recently had a offer to produce face frames for a local cabinet maker who fortunately stays busy, and was considering the option. The main tools I think I would need to be productive would be a good pocket hole cutter and a framing table. Can anyone give me their opinion on model/brand and why for each. I have checked out the Kreg and Castle machines online, like the low angle pocket idea from Castle, but also like the fast cycle time on the Kreg machines.

The guy that used to make the face frames for this cabinet maker has a framing table and a Ritter pocket hole cutter, and ends up sending the frames through a wide belt sander because the joints are not flush
I would really like a system that allows me to get really nice joints that don't need much sanding. Thanks!!

Mike Heidrick
03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
The floor standing castle is super fast. If you like the castle bed angle get the floor machine if you can swing the $3K

Jay Brewer
03-12-2010, 7:06 AM
If you are buying a framing table, the angle of the pocket is less important. You wont have the joint shift when using the table.

I have a Kreg DK1100FE pocket machine and Kreg's large framing table, Its a great combination. Castle makes a nice borer as well with a lower angle pocket. I dont like Castle's framing table nearly as much as Kregs. I have looked at almost every framing table out there, and feel Kreg's is the best bang for the buck.

Its a sizable investment to produce a simple face frame, but really speeds up the process.

Jeff Duncan
03-12-2010, 4:01 PM
I use the older Porter Cable pocket hole machines which are a bit slower but get the job done. Whichever machine you purchase you should probably plan on getting a widebelt. Even if you were to get them perfectly flat without so much as a tiny bit of variation, which is unlikely, you'll still want to have them sanded.
good luck,
JeffD

Jason Yeager
03-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks fellas. Does anyone have any experience with the Ritter machines?

Thanks

Karl Brogger
03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks fellas. Does anyone have any experience with the Ritter machines?

Thanks

Yep. Serious pain in the rear. The model I'm familiar with the clamp pushed up from the bottom against an adjustable shoe. Doesn't have as shallow a angle as the Castle, also doesn't punch the pilot hole all of the way through like the Castle. The one I had used was pretty slow as well. Ritter does have a model that drills two holes at once, but I'm not sure it'd really save much time but on a few specific widths of material.

Castle machine is the only way to go. Seriously. They also have awesome customer support. I've been walked through a couple of problems on the phone. Castle machines can get crabby when they're out of adjustment, once you know what to do they're simple to maintain and hard to beat in performance.

Frame tables can be picked up pretty cheap if your lucky. I picked up a 5'x12' table for $1100 a couple of years ago. Eats up a ton of space, but I also use it to stack up the job prior to assembly, saving the big frames for last. I have a Unique, the Ritters are quite nice. I'm not sure about Castle's newer generation frame tables, but the older ones weren't that great. They'd flex pretty easily making it hard to keep the parts tight when screwing them together. I've never used a frame table that was perfect, they all need to be sanded.

Unless you're planning on running a Castle Machine 24-7 the 3phase unit isn't neccessary. (Their words, not mine)

Jim Bowers
03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes I have used the Ritter clamping table. It was used in a production shop. Used it to assemble Raised Panel Doors, Ladder Frames and Face Frames. Never missed a beat in the 8 years it was in use.

Jason Yeager
03-15-2010, 8:39 PM
thanks for the reccommendations. I am looking for a used Castle machine and a kreg face frame table, but not finding a whole lot of luck. Full price is ........ wow.

thanks