PDA

View Full Version : Real close to work

Curt Fuller
03-11-2010, 9:40 PM
This is something new to me, designing and building a piece of furniture. I turned a very crude version of one of these several years ago for my mom. Her friend saw it and wanted me to make her one. So you know how moms are, she volunteered me before even asking if I could. Anyway, no plan, no woodworking skills or tools to speak of. Just a table saw, some oak boards and the lathe. It's red oak, mission oak stain, 6' tall, turned in 4 sections. The whole project took about 3 weeks. 2 hours of turning and 2 weeks, 6 days, and 22 hours of working on the base.
Sorry about the crappy basement workshop pics.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 9:43 PM
Very pretty! Too nice to cover up with coats! Turning something useful would impress my wife!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2010, 9:46 PM
Nicely done Curt! The center column.....how many pieces..one....multiple?......

What was the longest piece you had on the lathe?

What kind of a lathe do you use?

Steve Mawson
03-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Curt,
Turned out very nice. Agree that a base like that is difficult at least for me. I know how moms are, they think sons can do anything.:):)

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 9:47 PM
... The whole project took about 3 weeks. 2 hours of turning and 2 weeks, 6 days, and 22 hours of working on the base.
Sorry about the crappy basement workshop pics.

Looks good to me... It would have taken me at least that long to clean off my flatworking tools to get started on the base.:D

Curt Fuller
03-11-2010, 9:53 PM
Nicely done Curt! The center column.....how many pieces..one....multiple?......

What was the longest piece you had on the lathe?

What kind of a lathe do you use?

Ken the center is the longest piece, 42" including the tenons. I turned it on my trusty old Oliver159A. It has a 5' bed. I also have a 30" toolrest that sits in two banjos. This was the first time I've ever used it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Well for a hybrid Curt it is a extremely great looking piece. I really like it.

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice work, Curt! Lots of clean pommel cuts, and a very nice job on the long taper of the middle section.

I think a short trip to the flat side and coming back may be easier than the opposite!! I know I have a couple of flatwork projects that are calling me - but, I have all this round wood......:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Looks great Curt! Nice details! So, is Mom happy?