PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange

Steve Mawson
03-11-2010, 9:32 PM
Something I finished a short time ago. Wood is from hedge row on family Illinois farm cut a year ago last Easter. I have a friend that is a pharmacist and it might be a gift for him. Moisture content is very good right now, not as hard as it would be if it had dried for a lot longer, still dry enough that it has not changed shape. About 3 1/4 x 3 tall. Finished with home brew danish oil. C & C welcome.

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 9:39 PM
Beautiful wood with such a rich color already... Osage is a lot like cherry to me in the sense that it gets much prettier over time. I think your pharmacist friend would really appreciate such a nice mortar and pestle.

Curt Fuller
03-11-2010, 9:42 PM
That's really nice and a great use for the OO. I really like the colors in it too.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 9:45 PM
Very nice color. Will make a great gift!

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 10:19 PM
He is going to really like that. The color on that is beautiful. Well done.

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Steve, I love the wood!! Makes me want to cut a bunch of the ones on our place!

Nice treatment on the sides of the mortar. That will make it much easier to hold in use.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Very nice work Steve! I am sure it will make for a wonderful gift! Sure is some amazing color!

Allen Neighbors
03-12-2010, 8:09 AM
Beautiful, and the color just keeps on getting better!!! :D

Scott Lux
03-12-2010, 8:30 AM
Beautiful. Form, color, and finish all beautiful.

steven carter
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Steve,

Very nice work on both the mortar and the pestle. I'm sure your friend will treasure them.

Steve

Roland Martin
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Very nice Steve. The form, color & the grain is great. This specie doesn't grow up in Maine, I wish it did.

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
This specie doesn't grow up in Maine, I wish it did.This is kind of like a nuclear plant, Roland. They are great so long as they don't put it in your backyard. The hedgeapple tree is somewhat invasive, and very difficult to control. It has thorns, and is a literal pain to fool with. While it does have its uses (pretty turnings, bow staves, etc.) most of its original uses as hedgerows and fence posts have lost importance.

If you own property, be glad you do not have this tree!!

Steve Mawson
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Very nice Steve. The form, color & the grain is great. This specie doesn't grow up in Maine, I wish it did.

Roland,
I can send you a small piece if you want. I have a little extra right now. Does have some drying cracks. Just let me know.