PDA

View Full Version : #22 Spalted Holly

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 8:44 PM
I ordered some items from CSUSA for what was going to be my next project, but while waiting for them to come in the vortex was calling to me!!:D

This is a piece of the wood I just received from Mike Smith - one of my "wood pushers!" While I am not extremely excited with my work on this one, I am very happy with the holly!!

The ogee is not exactly what I would like, but it is too late now. I did get what I felt was a nice inside curve that follows all the way through. The rim is ever so slightly undercut to create a little shadow line for the working part of the bowl - though the flash washes that out. Yes, I know, I need to do the photography upgrade thing!:o

7.25" x 2.75". The foot is 2.125" The side walls on this bowl are just a little over 1/8", and since the wood is so light in weight, I wanted a little extra mass in the rim for balance with the bottom. Although very light, it does feel right when picked up. Finish at this point is one coat of satin brush on lacquer. It will get another coat.

This is the first time I have worked with holly, and it is a dream to turn. A little tricky getting a clean finish on the endgrain, and it takes some sanding, but very nice wood. I have another piece of the spalted, and several blocks of clear that came from Mike. Kind of makes me look forward to turning them!!

Thanks for letting me post another one!!

Dave Haughs
03-11-2010, 8:49 PM
Beautiful

I'm interested in your finishing technique for the bottom. Also how you're stamping your name in there.

David Christopher
03-11-2010, 8:50 PM
John, I really like this one, it is very unusual

Beautiful

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 9:04 PM
John - nice form and a very interesting variation to the rim! Beautiful wood! Love the intense spalt lines!

Keep up the good work!

gary Zimmel
03-11-2010, 9:12 PM
Wow, that holly sure has some nice spalt John.
Sweet job on 22 and now it's on to 23....

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 9:52 PM
It is a beautiful piece of wood... I've never turned holly, and I had no idea that it spalted so nicely.

I like the bead treatment at the rim... I think it adds a nice visual detail.

I must admit the last photo reminds me of a helmet for some reason, but I know that it won't be displayed in that position.:o

Ted Calver
03-11-2010, 9:55 PM
Very nice John. Great piece of wood and I think you did it justice.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2010, 9:55 PM
John.....gorgeous wood....great form and finish. I like the rim detail.

You, my friend, have turned into a turning machine!

Curt Fuller
03-11-2010, 9:58 PM
Man, that's a beautiful piece of wood and I think you've done a nice job of showing it off with that bowl. I really like rimmed bowls and I like what you've been doing with the beads and other enhancements to the rims. Keep it up John, I enjoy seeing each new piece.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
John that is some beautiful wood and a great looking bowl. Well done John.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Showy piece of wood. I don't think I have ever seen a piece of spalted holly. The black lines make it very striking!

Measuring to the nearest hundredth caused me to pause, but the nearest thousandth? I'm not sure if thats a sign of too much turning or not enough. Or maybe spalted wood isn't as harmless as I thought!;):D

Michael Dromey
03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
That is a really nice bowl. How long have you been turning?

Toney Robertson
03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Beautiful wood, great form, I like it.

Toney

Steve Mawson
03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
John,
I think you have enough of those beads at the top of the bowl to make that your trademark. Spalting really makes this wood stand out. Very pleasing. This one goes in the file.

Doug W Swanson
03-11-2010, 11:25 PM
John,

That is another fine piece. Nice form and a nice little detail on the rim.

Are you sure you didn't use a lathe in a previous life?:)

Doug

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 6:46 AM
Again, guys, you all are so very supportive with your comments. Thanks!!

I'm interested in your finishing technique for the bottom. Also how you're stamping your name in there.Dave, most of the time I use Cole jaws on the bottom, but I have used a friction jamb and a donut chuck. The name is a 1.5" maple medallion that is laser cut with a recess for a penny. Can't find any 2010 pennies!

Measuring to the nearest hundredth caused me to pause, but the nearest thousandth? I'm not sure if thats a sign of too much turning or not enough. Or maybe spalted wood isn't as harmless as I thought!;):DBaxter, I rounded to get to the nearest thousandth!!:D Seems like it is sometimes easier to do decimals than type in fractions. I have even gotten to where I use the decimal mode on my calipers - much better than fractional.

That is a really nice bowl. How long have you been turning?Thanks, Michael. I started in September 2009, with my first "dish" in December.

MIKE E BEE
03-12-2010, 7:39 AM
Hey John,

Nice work on this one. The wood is fantastic and I like the rim too. I also love the bottom. How are you putting your name and number on the medalion insert? That is a really nice look. Well done.

Looks like you are following the only protocol for your acute case of "Woodicus-Overstockicus" that you are suffering from......keep turning!!!

Jeff Nicol
03-12-2010, 7:42 AM
John, This piece has some wonderful things going for it and the wood is the first thing. The rim and detail there is always nice, the only thing I see that could be changed is that the first cruve from the foot could be a little steeper to the top curve flaring to the rim. It would give it a sleeker line. It looks a little squatty this way. But that being said your skills show in every other aspect of the bowl. We all turn some that are not "Perfect" in our own eyes, but there is always someone or many someones who would love to have a piece like that in there home or collection.

Keep on impressing us!

Jeff

Roland Martin
03-12-2010, 8:18 AM
I love the rim detail on this one John. That is also a very nice piece of Holly, very nice spalt. You do some amazing work John.
By the way, I spoke to Mike Smith yesterday and he's going to send me some ambrosia maple for me to "practice" with. I don't think I'm ready to destroy an expensive blank yet, so he thought that I should get some reasonably priced blanks to get my feet wet. Very nice guy to talk to, thanks for sharing Mike's name with us.

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 8:33 AM
...the only thing I see that could be changed is that the first cruve from the foot could be a little steeper to the top curve flaring to the rim. It would give it a sleeker line. It looks a little squatty this way.Jeff, you nailed it!! I made the mistake on this one of not taking it off the lathe until I had done the rim and a portion of the inside - bad move!! By that point, I had taken wood out beyond the first transition point, and could not affect a pleasing change on the exterior. I told Ms. Keeton I felt that was a critical problem with this one. Chalk it up to the learning curve - I guess literally in this case!

How are you putting your name and number on the medalion insert?Mike, it is all laser engraved and cut to size. The only thing I add is the # and a penny.

By the way, I spoke to Mike Smith yesterday and he's going to send me some ambrosia maple for me to "practice" with. I don't think I'm ready to destroy an expensive blank yet, so he thought that I should get some reasonably priced blanks to get my feet wet. Very nice guy to talk to, thanks for sharing Mike's name with us.
Mike is a super guy, and has some unbelievable domestic wood at very reasonable prices. However, all of the 7,000 bd ft of Claro he is trying to buy has been reserved for ME!!!:D:D;) I may let Bernie have one piece!:)

Kevin J Lalonde
03-12-2010, 9:28 AM
Nice job Mr. Keeton. I like the shape and the bead. It's your "style"! Thanks for posting!

Ray Bell
03-12-2010, 9:28 AM
" it is all laser engraved and cut to size. The only thing I add is the # and a penny".

John,

As always a very nice bowl. Do you buy these medallions for the bottom commercially somewhere?

Robert McGowen
03-12-2010, 9:39 AM
That is quite a chunk of wood, John. This might me one of my favorite ones that you have done.

steven carter
03-12-2010, 9:50 AM
John,

I'm not sure why you are not excited about this bowl, I like it. If you can't bear to look at it any more, you can send it to me and I will take care of it for you:D. The spalting is fantastic, and I like the slight undercut of the rim.

Steve

Frank Van Atta
03-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Beautiful piece of wood and excellent work on the rim. I agree that the ogee shape isn't quite right - it's a bit angular at the top.

Brian Effinger
03-12-2010, 3:25 PM
Very nice bowl, John, and as usual I really like your rim treatment. :)

Prashun Patel
03-12-2010, 3:29 PM
Ok, now you're just showing off. Are all these bowls turned on billable hours, JK?

Beautiful!
I bet a WWI desert army ranger'd love to have one of these!

charlie knighton
03-12-2010, 3:47 PM
very nice...

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 4:03 PM
Thanks again for looking, and for the comments. Frank, I agree with you as I noted in the post. It just isn't right, but .... can't change it now.

Do you buy these medallions for the bottom commercially somewhere?Sent Ray a PM on this.

Are all these bowls turned on billable hours, JK?
http://bestanimations.com/homeoffice/Lights/Bulbs/Bulb-01-june.gif Hmmmmm...... Never thought of that!!! Surely, my clients would understand......:D

Mark Hix
03-12-2010, 7:06 PM
another great looking bowl. did you dream that you would already be on #23?

Gary Chester
03-12-2010, 7:06 PM
There you go again... another nice turning on a great piece of wood.

I got some holly a while back... maybe I'll take a piece and toss it outside to get some spalting going, although from what I hear it would just turn blue...

Dave Haughs
03-12-2010, 10:14 PM
The name is a 1.5" maple medallion that is laser cut with a recess for a penny. Can't find any 2010 pennies!

Very cool!

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 6:16 AM
Thanks, Dave!

I got some holly a while back... maybe I'll take a piece and toss it outside to get some spalting going, although from what I hear it would just turn blue...Thanks, Gary. I am not knowledgeable enough about the holly to know what would work. Mike Smith tells me that the blue is a mold that attacks holly, and makes it very difficult to keep white as it dries. Not sure how that differs from the decay that causes spalting?? BTW, Mike's website is www.easternncwoodworkers.com (http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/) His phone numbers are listed if you want to talk with him about that. He is very knowledgeable about that stuff, as selling wood is what he does. He has hundreds of blanks - and, some extremely neat stuff.

another great looking bowl. did you dream that you would already be on #23?Thanks, Mark. I didn't ever dream I would turn the first one!!!:eek: Six Months ago, I had NO interest in turning bowls, and couldn't understand why folks enjoyed it.