PDA

View Full Version : Ordering lumber on the net

Joe Shinall
03-11-2010, 7:43 PM
I do not have a lumberyard within a 2 hour drive of my house. Can anyone tell me if the prices on this website are good enough to order and save me the tank of gas? And has anyone ever ordered lumber online like this and what are your experiences?

They have 4/4 boards up to 8 ' long and 11" wide so it seems like a pretty good idea to just order a huge board or 2 to keep me supplied til I can make it somewhere like Atlanta to get to a lumberyard.

Thanks guys.

http://www.hardwoodboardsource.com/

Robert Chapman
03-11-2010, 8:11 PM
I buy my wood from a local supplier who sells on the internet. They are very good guys to deal with. Check them at bellforestproducts.com Tell them Bob Chapman referred you .

glenn bradley
03-11-2010, 9:17 PM
Walnut - 1" thick, 12" long by 11-1/4" wide = $15.55 !!??!!

Not a chance. I pay about a third of that in SoCal and I feel it is a bit high right now. The place Bob mentions above is $5.70/bf (up to 10bf) which is a bit more than I paid a few weeks ago. Over 10bf it drops to $4.95/bf if I am reading it right. this is more like it.

Robert Reece
03-11-2010, 9:23 PM
Being in Georgia, you might like to try these two in North Carolina. UPS would likely be overnight to you, maybe 2 days. And no sales tax.

www.hardwoodstore.com
www.walllumber.com

I buy from The hardwood store. They have nice wood and good selection. Just call and talk to them about what you need.

I have never been to Wall, but have heard great things. I intend on going sometime soon.

Joe Shinall
03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
It is a bit more expensive than those other places but when you order from the other ones you order by the BF and dont get the chance to choose the width of the pieces. Damn why can't this town just get a lumber yard!!!

John A. Callaway
03-12-2010, 4:11 AM
tell me about it. Nothing in savannah, Charleston, or jacksonville except woodcraft, and their selection is slim....

Mike Wilkins
03-12-2010, 9:17 AM
When I lived in Georgia I ordered from Walllumber a couple of times. Great service and the lumber was some fine stuff.

Tony Shea
03-12-2010, 9:26 AM
I'm in the same situation as you. I have a local cabinet shot that sell rough sawn lumber but their prices are outrageous. I buy some small quantities from them from time to time and am always shocked at the price of the lumber. They know they're the only source and seems as though they are gouging the hell out of us hobbyists. I've never ordered online but have thought about it. This thread should be a good source for me as well.

One would think living in eastern Maine that hardwood lumber such as maple, oak, etc would be available in just about every town. Need to look into buying a small saw mill.

Keith Harrell
03-12-2010, 9:51 AM
I have had good luck with nwtimber.net web site for small orders. They display pictures of each piece of wood but should be called if you have questions and they will describe it. It maybe higher $$$ but most is FAS and they have a large selections of 4/4,8/4 and larger wood.

Rob Young
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I do not have a lumberyard within a 2 hour drive of my house. Can anyone tell me if the prices on this website are good enough to order and save me the tank of gas? And has anyone ever ordered lumber online like this and what are your experiences?

They have 4/4 boards up to 8 ' long and 11" wide so it seems like a pretty good idea to just order a huge board or 2 to keep me supplied til I can make it somewhere like Atlanta to get to a lumberyard.

Thanks guys.

You mention a 2 hour drive radius around your house. If you haven't already tried www.woodfinder.com it might pop up a small mill near you. Certainly worth a try if you haven't already.

I've ordered from a few places, but mostly specialty stuff or veneers. I'm sorta lucky in that I can drive only an hour and find good domestics. For small quantities of exotics, I've had good luck with eBay of all places. There are several of the larger yards that seem to have eBay stores to deal with their orphaned boards and cut-offs. Often times I'll be paying $5-10 for several board feet (random width) of rosewood or purpleheart but then end up with $20 in ground shipping charges so that makes it about a wash.

If you are interested in the eBay route for small stuff, let me know and I'll cull my saved sellers list for the most recent ones I've used.

Jim McFarland
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Another vote for wall lumber -- I've bought several of their 20bdft packs and very satisfied with quality each time: walnut, cherry, QSWO, African mahogany and hard maple.

glenn bradley
03-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Just an observation; I tried Woodfinder and they missed the three yards closest to me and directed me to the "nearest" yard 37 miles away. I'm assuming they recommend yards who register with them or some such.

Neil Brooks
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Just an observation; I tried Woodfinder and they missed the three yards closest to me and directed me to the "nearest" yard 37 miles away. I'm assuming they recommend yards who register with them or some such.

Same story, here....

Louie Ballis
03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I am one who doesnt have a lumbar yard close. But I can tell you I ve had good service and selection from Wall lumber as well.

Scott T Smith
03-12-2010, 1:12 PM

Thanks guys.

Joe, although I have a business that manufactures and sells quartersawn oak, I'd like to add my voice to the others here in recommending Wall Lumber.

I've been to Steve Wall's facility more than once, have made substantial purchases from him as well (in excess of 30K), and I unequivocally recommend him 100%.

They are a very reputable company that stands behind what they sell. You won't go wrong in dealing with them.

Regards,

Scott

Rob Young
03-12-2010, 1:31 PM

Yes, the yards must register with them. But sometimes its a start. I found a few other yards simply by quizzing the guys at the yards I did find. Turns out they had different "specialties" and would often trade business.

Jim Riseborough
03-12-2010, 2:53 PM
if you have time, watch craigslist...I picked up about 1200bf, mixed maple, figured maple, oak, red oak, ash or birch, walnut all less than $2 bf. Most in nice stuff, some of the maple is real nice. Im happy, imo

Joe Shinall
03-13-2010, 2:47 PM
Thanks guys, Im going to bite it and try some from walllumber since it comes highly recommended. I've tried woodfinder and thats how I found out there were none within a 2 hour drive. Jacksonville Woodcraft is the closest, and as mentioned, their selection is very minimal. There is one place in St Mary's but it is by appointment only and their prices seem to be the same as getting the wood shipped to me. May check it out one day because it is a little bit closer than jacksonville, but kinda skeptical about it still.

Karl Card
03-13-2010, 3:31 PM
I buy my wood from a local supplier who sells on the internet. They are very good guys to deal with. Check them at bellforestproducts.com Tell them Bob Chapman referred you .

I have not bought alot from them but I also have bought from bellforest and the wood was very nice.

Craig D Peltier
03-13-2010, 6:27 PM

Thanks guys.

I think you already got alot of info. All I can think is wow that really stinks to have to drive that far. I feel bad that people have to go that far, I would be looking to open a store maybe..
I would just save $$ an stock up on many species an some plys . Or find a local sawyer for local woods.

Scot Ferraro
03-13-2010, 6:33 PM
+1 for Bell Forest Products. I ordered some awesome Birdseye Maple from them and it was much, much cheaper than anything available locally. They matched the boards for color for me, packaged it well for transit and I am very happy. Boone Bell was patient and answered all of my questions.

Scot

Kent E. Matthew
03-14-2010, 2:08 PM
I have been checking out these sites. Has anyone ordered a 100 Bf bundle? This would have to be sent common carrier. This wouldn't be a problem. I could give them my work address. I was wondering about the cost. Would it be high enough to make it not such a good deal?

Zach England
03-14-2010, 3:15 PM
I have been checking out these sites. Has anyone ordered a 100 Bf bundle? This would have to be sent common carrier. This wouldn't be a problem. I could give them my work address. I was wondering about the cost. Would it be high enough to make it not such a good deal?

I've done it a couple times and it has come by freight to my house. You have to tell them it is a residence and sometimes there will be an extra fee for that. I had a guy come without a lift gate once and he was nice enough to help me unload it piece by piece.

rick bear
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I have found shipping costs to be an important consideration. UPS is typically prohibitive, over $1 per pound. With some of the freight companies, I've been able to get the price down to thirty cents a pound. If you order a 100 bf of walnut, I expect you would pay anywhere from $300 to $100 for shipping. I would be curious to hear what others do to keep the shipping costs low.

- Rick

Kent E. Matthew
03-15-2010, 2:42 PM
Upon inquiry. Common carrier cost for me was 221 dollars. Kind of takes the deal right out of the equation.

Jim Tobias
03-15-2010, 2:47 PM
ONe more +++1 for Wall Lumber. I have been buying form Steve for years and the lumber and service is always great. I have been to their place often (about 1 hour and 15 minutes) but I ahve also had some shipped by UPS and it gets to me in good shape.

Jim

Jason Carlin
02-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Where are you getting great prices in SoCal?