PDA

View Full Version : Cherry-Fruit Bowl

Eric Kosanovich
03-11-2010, 7:19 PM
Cherry fruit bowl 10" x 3-1/2". rough out.
I'm not really happy with the base i think its to big and tall.
This was from a gloat i forgot to post.
Critique welcome

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 7:33 PM
Eric, I do like the way the heartwood and sapwood play against each other - interesting grain pattern. Probably right on the foot, but since you said it was a rough out, can you still get it back on the chuck? Looks like you have a lot of wood left, and if you aren't happy, give it another go!

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 7:35 PM
Pretty wood! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

Eric Kosanovich
03-11-2010, 8:42 PM
John, i don't have a chuck for turning the bottom yet i'm trying to buy a new lathe before i get into the tools and addons. Maybe it's time i make a donut chuck.

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 9:15 PM
Eric, did you turn this bowl with a recess or tenon in a scroll chuck? If so, can't you chuck it back up and change the form.

Then, to finish off the bottom, you can open the jaws of the chuck all the way, use a piece of carpet pad or some other cushion material and place the open side of the bowl against the chuck.

Then bring up the tailstock to your center point on the foot, with the tailstock quill extended as much as possible. That should allow you to finish off nearly the entire bottom with light cuts.

Of course, a donut chuck will work better!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 9:22 PM
Great looking bowl and I like the sapwood/heartwood contrast. A donut chuck would fix you right up.

Steve Mawson
03-11-2010, 9:37 PM
Yep, like the wood and agree that foot is a little large. Donut chuck would work great or do like John suggested. No chuck, use the face plate to push against with tail stock with some padding between bowl and face plate. Just a suggestion:D

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 9:43 PM
Pretty wood, and I agree with your assessment of the foot. I'm not sure I like the angular transition near the lip as much as I would like a more gentle curve, but I might feel different if the base were altered. I agree with the idea of chucking it back up to give it a go.

Curt Fuller
03-11-2010, 9:46 PM
Eric, did you turn this bowl with a recess or tenon in a scroll chuck? If so, can't you chuck it back up and change the form.

Then, to finish off the bottom, you can open the jaws of the chuck all the way, use a piece of carpet pad or some other cushion material and place the open side of the bowl against the chuck.

Then bring up the tailstock to your center point on the foot, with the tailstock quill extended as much as possible. That should allow you to finish off nearly the entire bottom with light cuts.

Of course, a donut chuck will work better!!:D

Even without a chuck you can use the same process for modifying and finishing the bottom as John has described but using a face plate instead. Once you get down to just a nub at the tailstock you can take it off the lathe and sand off the nub.

That's really some pretty wood.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 9:48 PM
That should look very nice when you are done! Good balance of colors.

Eric Kosanovich
03-11-2010, 9:58 PM
Thanks guys.
John I used a recess, will try the carpet pad thingy in the morning.
It's about time for Archer on FX and i cant miss that.
i'll repost after i work on the bottom Thanks John

Eric Kosanovich
03-13-2010, 6:17 AM
This worked out great. I used a blank and foam tape.

Thanks guys

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 6:22 AM
Same principle, Eric, and this idea also works for doing slimmer vessels. I have used a smaller and longer piece of wood like you have done, to jam a small vase to do the bottom.

Now, we need to see the bottom of the bowl!!:D

Eric Kosanovich
03-13-2010, 6:39 AM
Here it is:
i have some cleanup to do but its all good.

John Keeton
03-13-2010, 7:06 AM
Yep, that worked!!