PDA

View Full Version : I know another jointer ?, need help quick

ADAM GROSS
03-11-2010, 5:49 PM
Trying not to bore you guys.
I'm choosing between 2 jointers now. Two very different jointers.

1) Looking for the good, bad or ugly about a 8 year old delta dj20 with little use. I know that the new ones are probably overpriced but this one is $800. Casting is Taiwan. Looking at tomorrow and need to decide on the spot becouse the guy has been holding it for me and has others interested. Single phase so it's plug and play for me.
2) CO Porter 12 " jointer. Running on 3 phase, but I'm not equipped for it. The jointer is just cool becouse it's 80-90 years old and running. There is a broken part on it which can be fixed I believe. Needs a good cleaning and gone through. I have looked into single phase motors instead, or rfd's but price is getting up there. The jointer is $500 and a powerflex rfd or new motor and switch is an additional $600-$800 to run it. Plus I would like a mobile base under it becouse it's 1500 lbs. so theres more money.

I know I have a third option in the grizzly 8" jointer, but I'm not quite sold on grizzly yet.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Tony Shea
03-11-2010, 6:02 PM
Option 2 seems a bit of an unneccessary stretch and may not perform up to your expectations even after you go through all the trouble. I would cross that one right off the list if it was me. Option 1 seems to be worth the effort if the machine checks out well. Bring a straight edge and check the tables, especially for being coplaner. Also have the guy run a peice of stock through it to make sure it performs adequitly.

The Griz option I'm sure is not a bad one but I have no experience with their line of large power tools. They get many praises around here though. I also am not quite sold on them either. But the DJ-20 is an industry standard and really can't go wrong with it if it is in good condition.

Matt Day
03-11-2010, 6:31 PM
It seems like a no-brainer to me: DJ20 hands down. It doesn't sound as though you're ready to buy a huge jointer like that 12" one. Phase converters and replacing parts on an ancient jointer shouldn't be taken too lightly. I bet you get $1500+ invested in that 12" jointer before you have it really working. Save yourself the frustration and get the DJ20 (or Griz). Can you handle 220V?

I'd love to get a big old jointer like that one day, but I don't have space and I'd surely keep my 8" around until I had the 12" up and running successfully.

Larry Norton
03-11-2010, 6:43 PM
I've had my DJ 20 for close to 8 years and can't imagine woodworking without it. It was given to me by Delta after a tornado picked up our house in one piece and set it back down on my Delta Contractors saw. They were going to give me another table saw, but I had already bought a Powermatic 66. My jointer had also been damaged, so they decided to give me the DJ 20. Did I mention that I loved it?

ADAM GROSS
03-11-2010, 7:32 PM
Yes I already have 220 in my garage for my unisaw. The guys over at owwm have done some amazing refurbs on old equipment and got me interested in the idea of the 12" porter.
The dj-20 has been shrinkwrapped in storage for the last 4 years, long story. Looks to be in good shape.

Dave Cav
03-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Even though I am an OWWM guy, I would go with the Delta if you need a jointer right now. The old Porter might be a fun project or a nightmare. It would NOT be my first choice for an OWWM rebuild. It would be a real challenge to move it, and it might have babbit bearings, which could really complicate things. If the motor is direct drive, then you can probably forget about replacing it.

Just for the record, my current (!) jointer is an 8" Grizzly with a spiral head, and I'm satisfied with it. I would love to eventually have a 12 or 16" jointer, but right now I don't have the space.

Chip Lindley
03-12-2010, 1:24 AM
What Dave Said! The DJ20 can be put to work right out of the shrink wrap! Easy knife setting with jack screws. And, it's single phase! I LOVE my '95 model!

That Porter will take some TLC before you can use it. Big decision will be to keep the 3ph motor or change to 1ph. All, in all, you will sink more bucks into the Porter than the DJ20 costs.

Jeff Miller
03-12-2010, 7:58 AM
Get the Grizzly................ you won't be disappointed ;)

JEFF:)

Myk Rian
03-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Get the Grizzly................ you won't be disappointed ;)
JEFF:)
What Grizzly? The choices are a Porter or a Delta.

John Thompson
03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
DJ-20 between the two would be my choice also....

glenn bradley
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
What Grizzly? The choices are a Porter or a Delta.

The G0490 is basically the same machine as a DJ-20 only with 3HP, a mobile base, mag switch and green paint. Maybe that was the confusion. :)