PDA

View Full Version : New Vacuum Chuck for the Mustard Monster

Rich Boehlke
03-11-2010, 5:46 PM
Finally got it all together thanks to Steve Schlumpf and Tom Steyer of http://jtturningtools.com/ Thank you, gentlemen. Couldn't have done it without you!

In the interest of saving precious floor space, I decided to integrate the system into the lathe stand. The pump is a used Gast 0522 that was found on Craigs list. The intake filter and misc. fittings were obtained from JT Turning Tools as were the rotary adapter and and vacuum hub, both beautifully machined items. Mounting the intake filter to the motor saved space underneath. The on/off switch was a spare that has been laying around and now has found a new home controlling the pump. The switch location is not very convenient but that may be a good thing since it will make me think before hitting the stop button.

Up top, the vacuum manifold (small black box) with vacuum gauge and bleeder valve attach nicely to the headstock with velcro. The rotary adapter fits perfectly into the handwheel opening and stows on the manifold mast when not in use.

The vacuum hub threads to the lathe spindle on the other end and uses common schedule 40 PVC couplings interchangeably for the vacuum bells. An O ring in the hub makes for an airtight seal and setscrews secure the PVC coupler in place. Its a pretty slick setup IMHO and worked fine during a short test run last night.

Time will tell if any design changes are necessary. I am wondering if a shroud will be necessary to keep the pump from getting buried in chips?

Rich Boehlke
03-11-2010, 5:48 PM
Lastly, here is a shot of my setup as it is today with the new cabinet just completed. Only problem, it's already too small!

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 5:58 PM
Rich - congrats on your new vacuum system! Everything looks well thought out! Looking forward to hearing what you think of your system after you get to use it for real! You're going to love it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 6:06 PM
Great looking system Rich. Well put together. Yep Tom is a great guy to work and deal with.

Steve Mawson
03-11-2010, 6:38 PM
Looks like a good system. I am wanting to do that as well. Thanks for letting me take a look.

Jason Clark2
03-11-2010, 6:42 PM
Looks great Rich. One of these days I'll make it up your direction for a visit.

Jason

Alan Tolchinsky
03-11-2010, 6:51 PM
Rich, Nice set up. I like your tool holder, could you describe the basic construction? It looks like it rotates, right? Thanks!

Richard Madison
03-11-2010, 7:20 PM
Anybody use a filter on their bleed valve? If the chips are flying it might inhale one.

gary Zimmel
03-11-2010, 7:39 PM
Good looking system you built Rich. Congrats.

Rich Boehlke
03-11-2010, 7:55 PM
Rich, Nice set up. I like your tool holder, could you describe the basic construction? It looks like it rotates, right? Thanks!

Correct, it is mounted on a "Lazy Susan" bearing. The whole idea was blatantly plagiarized from our local club's WEB site. You can find the write up at http://azwoodturners.org/ click on "Tips/Techniques" on the left side then on the next page click, "Turning Tool Storage" near the bottom. The file is a .pdf so you will need Adobe reader, enjoy!

Alan Tolchinsky
03-11-2010, 9:14 PM
Thanks Rich, I'm checking it out now.