PDA

View Full Version : G0690/60691 owners

Rick Moyer
03-11-2010, 5:15 PM
I just went to use the supplied dado table insert for the first time. I noticed it does not have the rear bolt and nut, nor a place to put one (to hold down the rear of the insert). Is this how yours was/is?

I guess I could drill and tap and put my own in. Is this how it is supposed to be? No indication in the manual either way.

Stan Wiley
03-11-2010, 6:49 PM
Yup, Mine is the same, I noticed it but I have not used the saw with the dado blade yet, so I don't know if it is gonna be a problem or not?

Salem Ganzhorn
03-11-2010, 7:44 PM
Mine is the same and I have used it. But the real problem is that it is not dead flat. Neither is the "normal" insert. I am not a fan of the bolt-on ones anyway. I have replaced both with shop made ZCI's.

I have also owned 2 Jet contractor's saws. Neither of their inserts were flat either. I just think the metal ones stink.

Salem

Rick Moyer
03-11-2010, 8:39 PM
Well, I drilled and tapped a hole for the rear bolt. Seems to work fine. I should get a corresponding nut and lock washer like the original to keep the bolt adjusted properly now. As far as flatness; I'm not real picky, but it seems to be pretty flat when adjusted with the set screws.
(I know that last sentence wasn't grammatically correct. This is a woodworking forum, however; not an English writing forum!):p

Mikail Khan
03-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Same problem.

No bolt. Not flat.

Made my own Zero Clearance and Dado inserts.

MK

Rick Moyer
03-12-2010, 5:02 AM
With your shop-made ZCI's, are you holding them down with a stud at each end, or just gravity?

Salem Ganzhorn
03-12-2010, 7:42 AM
With your shop-made ZCI's, are you holding them down with a stud at each end, or just gravity?

Mine seem plenty tight with a friction fit. Plus if they are dead flat they really don't have any tendency to raise out.

Salem

Alex Berkovsky
03-12-2010, 8:55 AM
Those that made their own ZCI, did you have to make any notches on the bottom for it to fit?

Rob Hough
03-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I bought the ZCI from Grizzly and it needs to have some material removed underneath if I try to raise the blade to full height. I *think* the riving knife bracket is making contact and raising the ZCI off the table.

I don't mind, but... I bought the ZCI thinking it would be retrofitted for the g0690/691. If I knew I had to go through all that trouble... I'd just have made it myself. Lesson learned.

Jim O'Dell
03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Rick, I did the same thing you did...drilled, tapped and inserted screw. I had some ole back brace screws from my stereo installing days...same threads as the factory regular kerf insert tapped hole! I don't think it would go anywhere without one if the hold down screw was in, but I didn't want to chance it. Plus, I was waiting for paint to dry.:rolleyes:
I do wish there was a way to make side to side adjustments. My inserts aren't real tight. But they seem to be serviceably (is that a word?) flat. Will eventually make an insert with replaceable pieces for the kerf area. Jim.

Rick Moyer
03-12-2010, 8:14 PM
Rick, I did the same thing you did...drilled, tapped and inserted screw. I had some ole back brace screws from my stereo installing days...same threads as the factory regular kerf insert tapped hole! I don't think it would go anywhere without one if the hold down screw was in, but I didn't want to chance it. Plus, I was waiting for paint to dry.:rolleyes:
I do wish there was a way to make side to side adjustments. My inserts aren't real tight. But they seem to be serviceably (is that a word?) flat. Will eventually make an insert with replaceable pieces for the kerf area. Jim.
make sure you paint them green!

Mikail Khan
03-12-2010, 10:32 PM

I used a similar arrangement to the original insert. A 5/16" bolt upside down to hook in the notch at the back of the opening and a reused the M5 screw at the front to keep it in place. I used four 5/16" grub screws for leveling.

I bought some 4" wide aluminum today which I hope to eventually make inserts with a replaceable kerf area.

MK

Jason Strauss
03-13-2010, 8:14 AM
I haven't had any issue keeping either insert in place with just the front screw.

Now, before I make this next statement, it's just been because of my own laziness that I haven't yet made my own ZCI, but...virtually every time I use the saw I get red paint streaks on my work from the factory inserts. It's just a minor annoyance, but irritating nonetheless.

Salem Ganzhorn
03-13-2010, 9:19 AM
Sounds like your throat plate is adjusted a little too high?

But really throat plates are annoying if they are not at the perfect height. Just a little high and you can forget about glue-line rips. A little low or high and forget any accuracy cutting tenons with a dado blade. Bleh! I am only frustrated because I have not yet bought enough set screws for all my shop made ZCI's. As soon as I make it to Lowes and spend 1$ my frustration will go away :).
Salem