PDA

View Full Version : 8" Powermatic jointer opinion

Tom Godley
03-11-2010, 4:14 PM
As many know Powermatic is having somewhat of a sale this weekend -- I have an old Griz 6" jointer - thinking of upgrading.

Any opinions on the PM 60HH -- its the 8" w/ Helical head - Selling for $1700.00 with basically free shipping.

I have looked previously at the Parallelogram units -- I really do not see what the practical difference is between them.

Kent A Bathurst
03-11-2010, 5:44 PM
I have a 10-yr-old PM 60B, not ll-ogram, not helix head (put on an after-market terminix head). I like it a lot. Never any issues.

The "don't buy stuff made in Taiwan" crowd may now weigh in - I'm heading for the foxhole. ;)

Cary Falk
03-11-2010, 7:25 PM
You already have a Grizzly Jointer. Is there a reason you are not considering a G0490x and saving yourself about $700? Just asking. I'm sure the PM is a fine maching but so is the Grizzly.

Peter Aeschliman
03-11-2010, 7:30 PM
I've looked at the grizzly's and I've looked at the powermatics... the powermatic is a nicer machine, but not nearly nice enough to command the price difference.

I don't own either though.

Philip Johnson
03-11-2010, 8:10 PM
For the price of the powermatic I went with a 12 inch shopfox/grizzly I'm surprised how many times the extra width comes in handy. The PM may have a bit nicer finish but the the grizzly gives me nice flat square boards and thats all that matters. Now shapers I prefer the PM.

Phil

Tom Godley
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I looked at the Grizzly last year when I went out to Williamsport -- to be honest they had so many different models -- I forget them all.

I remember someone mentioning that the 8" PM was a nice unit.

Tell me why I need a 12 inch Jointer ?

Looking over the Griz site --- I see they are very competitive.

Philip Johnson
03-11-2010, 11:23 PM
You may or may not need a 12 inch jointer, I like to face joint my wood before I plane it and seems I have a lot of 10 or 11 inch boards.

Craig Coney
03-11-2010, 11:57 PM
The PM is a nice machine. Basically you need to ask yourself what is your tolerance level? What are you willing to do when you get the machine to your shop?

I have the PJ882 with straight knives and it gives great results. Virtually no set up required.

Both jointers when set up properly will do the job. Personally, I would recommend the PM from past experience, but that's just my opinion.

Chip Lindley
03-12-2010, 12:18 AM
IF the money was the same, I would choose a 12" jointer in a heartbeat! Just Becauzzz!