PDA

View Full Version : New vacuum system

Fred Perreault
03-11-2010, 3:38 PM
I have finally finished my vacuum system for my Nova 16-24. I have been busy the past year $aving money by making tools, a $turdier $tand for my lathe, shop made dust collection, and other assorted whatnot. So, when it came time to pull the trigger on the vac system, I chose to get as much of the parts at one source as I could. I am sure that shopping at many different vendors was going to save me a modest amount of money, but I took the quicker, easier way out this time. I bought all I needed from JT Turning Tools. The proprieter, Tom Steyer was of immense help. We comunicated twice before purchase, and he has shown interest and answered my questions and suggestions after purchase. It is refreshing to be able to conduct business with uncomplicated results. The machined parts were top shelf, and most everything required was included. I had to route some stuff for my own situation, so I acqiured a few other fittings locally. The only thing that is awkward is the handwheel. There is not much room for a handwheel on the 16-24, as the release for the belt tension causes the motor frame to knock against the handwheel. This would be the case for any handwheel of consequence. I am overall very happy with the convenience of a vac, and the system works fine.
I attached a scrap of plywood to a rolling cart I built more than 20 years ago for a dot matrix printer and paper storage for my home office. I have been using it to hold all of the tools and "stuff" I am too lazy to put away. It is usually next to the lathe anyway. The vac parts and assembly is attached to the vertical plywood, and the pump is behind the plywood on a shelf.

Jim Slovik
03-11-2010, 3:57 PM
Nice system. I like to tombstone too.

Roland Martin
03-11-2010, 4:36 PM
Looks like a nice set-up Fred. Fitting tombstone:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 5:03 PM
Fred - congrats on your new system! Looks like Tom has put together quite the vacuum system package!

Have fun and get back to us after you have used it a little!

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 5:05 PM
Congrats on the new system... Now let's see what you can do with it.

Ken Glass
03-11-2010, 5:48 PM
Fred,
Great testament on your Cole jaws. Tom is a good guy and has helped many here put a Vacuum System together. Yours looks like its done with the same detail also. Well Done.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 5:55 PM
Fred great looking system. I bought my entire unit from Tom. He is great to work with. I also bought a extra handwheel kit for the Jet 1220 so I can use it on both my lathes.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 5:58 PM
Looks good. Another think on my build list. Like your dust hood as well. Haven't got past the cardboard box in a similar shape. The improvement over just a straight pipe/opening I find remarkable.

Fred Perreault
03-11-2010, 6:35 PM
Bernie,
I took note of your postings regarding your system, and I received the .pdf from Steve about his construction. It all added up to an easy install with all the help. It will pull 23"-24" of merc. with a denser wood. Now I have to make more chucks. That will be fun. I turned some "large" buttons (8"-10") for a friend who sells button bags to the ladies. The vac did its' job, and no screwing around with coles jaw buttons. But of course, the coles jaws are not far away.... at all. They will always be part of the fleet.