PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom vanity - beech

Kris Bjarnason
03-11-2010, 2:47 PM
Does anyone have any opinions/experiences on using beech? I specifically am thinking of using it to build a bathroom vanity for someone, the reason being they want that dark espresso finish that seems to be the thing right now, which almost completely hides the grain and is essentially a painted project in my opinion. I have both American and steamed European beech available, but have never worked with either.

Frank Drew
03-11-2010, 3:40 PM
Kris,

I've never used European Beech but I can't think it's too different from our own. I think either would be suitable for the application, in structural terms; that is, the slightly elevated humidity wouldn't bother the wood, and it's fairly hard so would stand up to the occasional bump that floor level cabinets might get. I've never dyed or stained beech so can't help there.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2010, 3:41 PM
Those both sound like they would cost more than birch plywood or poplar. Both of these paint up nicely or could be stained very dark. Will this be solid wood or will it have plywood? I'd opt for the ply due to the high humidity typical in a bathroom plus it is a cabinet afterall....

Frank Drew
03-11-2010, 3:58 PM
On the issue of humidity, beech is used for probably the majority of wood kitchen utensils, and of course they're exposed to repeated wet/dry cycles. Unless it's put through the dishwasher, a beech spoon can last for years and years without splitting or warping, or anyway mine have. FWIW.

But I agree with Chris that at least the box of a bathroom vanity would most appropriately be made out of ply.

Darnell Hagen
03-11-2010, 5:56 PM
When I make something espresso I tint Watco Danish oil with a carbon black long oil dye. Walnut takes the tinted oil much better than Beech.

Stephen Stark
03-11-2010, 6:55 PM
What is this carbon black dye you refer to and where do you get it? thanks. Stephen

Darnell Hagen
03-12-2010, 7:06 PM
What is this carbon black dye you refer to and where do you get it?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s168/DarnellHagen/P1510897.jpg